WHitewash vs poynting

I have made lime paint from lawn lime, some mineral oil and water,back when my dog chewed on his house (1970s) and I wanted something safer. That was decades ago and lime spills on the concrete are pretty permanent, In Greece, they paint brick buildings with quicklime. The big difference is here in the States lime is dolomitic, which means it has a lot of magnesium, not just calcium. (In Greece, they use lime to stiffen fruit preserves.) Would this work instead of repointing the bricks?
I am concerned because I took a PDH (engineering continuing ed) on waterproofing five years ago and they taught us the main lesson was to show the water the way out rather than stop it. They showed us one guy who had put roof tar/asphalt on the inside of the wall surrounding the roof and when the waterproofers poked the roof wall with a stick it spouted water like Moses got.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist          http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poynting_vector