whiten yellowed caulk?

Maybe bleach, or caulk over it

Reply to
m Ransley

Maybe bleach, or caulk over it

Reply to
m Ransley

Is there any way besides removing caulk that has yellowed to get it white again? I think it was silicone that I used in two bathrooms. It has yellowed in both. Thanks for any advice.

Brian in MI

Reply to
Brian

Nope.

RicodJour

I've never had good silicone caulk yellow, at least the GE bathroom and sink product. Whatever it is, it is best to razor blade off the yellowed stuff if you don't wish to live with it, and get true silicone (non paintable) waterproof sealer/caulk designed for bath applications, and reapply to a perfectly clean and dry surface.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I have the same problem. The GE turned yellow and the DAP is still white. I have gone over it with the Chlorox bleach pen and it is improved but not bright white.

I'll put on another heavy coat and let ya know.

Reply to
c_kubie

Never had GE silicone turned yellow either or hard on various installations in 30 years. The only problem I had with GE is the shelf life is too short and too hard to squeeze out of the tube where most of the caulk blow out on the other end of the tube. Happens all the time - need to keep and eye on the expiration date.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks for all the replies! I will try bleach just for the heck of it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Excellent point, Fred. I always give the cartridge sides a squeeze before buying to see if they "give", and I do check the packing date, if visible. Both the hand-squeeze tubes and the caulk gun cartridges tend to have high volatility and correspondingly short shelf life.

Reply to
Roger Taylor