white translucent plastic has turned brown

I have a small easy-mount fluorescent fixture with a white translucent plastic diffuser that has turned brown. It casts less light and is sort of ugly. Is there anyway to make the plastic white again??

Thanks.

(I actually have two that a friend gave me. But I only have a place to use one, so far.)

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

nospambob

No. once discolored they stay that way. Over time, they all do that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:26:56 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski" posted:

Thanks to both of you. I thought if the brown part didn't go all the way through and if no solvent will take it off, sanding it might.

But I can accept that they won't.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

throw the plastic away.

Reply to
m Ransley

A friend of mine gave me a piece of plastic for my kitchen ceiling fixture. My fixture is hard wired. He said it would not yellow because it wasn't made of Styrene. Styrene is a very cheap plastic. The plastic he gave me has been on the ceiling for 20 years +/-.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John