White spots after aplpying poly coat to wood floor

I had to refinish some worn spots in my wood floor, some of the poly and stain was worn away due to foot traffic. I found a perfect match in stain (MinWax wood finish) and brushed it over the worn spots after cleaning the floor. After it soaked into the wood I wiped the excess away and let it dry for at least 24 hours. The floor looked great with nice even color, except there was no poly coat in the worn spots.

So a day or so later I brushed on some MinWax fast-drying polyeruthane over the worn spots. At first, it looked great but as it dried I noticed that white spots started to appear. No everywhere I applied the poly coat, but in certain spots that more-or-less lined up with the previous worn spots.

How could the poly coat cause the stain to lighten? What can I do to remedy this problem?

Many thanks

Reply to
DesignGuy

A photo just might you think help, but its a contamination that you have,

Reply to
ransley

Did you use a water based stain? It sounds to me that you may have water trapped under the polyurethane.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Was floor ever washed with one of the floor treatments that have chemicals to make it shine, or waxed, but wait a few days maybe it will get better

Reply to
ransley