White-Rodgers Thermostat question

Oil fired hot air system. Thermostat is older White-rodgers. Rectangular no frills job. Inside cover says Type 1e36-303.
Rmoving the cover reveals an adjustment for cycles from .25 to .4.
What does this adjustment do? Id prefer longer cycles in general.
Thanks
Appears you are talking about the anticipation setting on the stat. It does have some effect on the run cycle of the unit and is normally set to equal the amp draw of the burner or the total heat circuit. You can experiment with it some if you want, but don't expect a world of difference with the scale only .25 to .4. Normally, the ones I see go up to 1.0.
Bobby

BGBevill wrote:

what exactly does the setting do?
Home and Deranged wrote:

that a current passes through which then produces heat that heats a bi-metal coil that shifts the mercury switch or mechanical switching contacts, if that is what is used to open the power source to the gas valve or oil motor relay.
As previously stated the purpose is to keep the heat exchanger's retention heat from over shooting the T-stat's set point by too wide a margin. The same idea is incorporated in the cooling anticipator.
For the best efficiency I want the longest cycles I can get on my oil furnace.
http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioning-excessive-airflow.html - Trouble-Shooting low A/C heat transfer Darrell - udarrell
--

Empowerment Communications -
Economic and Political Solutions Not Terrorism and Wars -
Home and Deranged wrote:

This is Turtle.
Hey EL , I know i need to use a spell checker but you need to get you a Grammer checker for your computor. Read your first line and see if you can figure out what your tring to say. I got lost half way through it. Your thoughts are good but your Grammer is poor.
TURTLE
Turtle,
Sorry you couldn't understand the sentence. Just for the exercise I ran Microsoft's grammar checker over it and there were no suggested corrections. It did however say that it was written at the 12th grade level. Could that be the problem?
TURTLE wrote:

Hi EL, hope you are having a nice day
On 23-Nov-03 At About 09:43:27, EL wrote to All Subject: Re: White-Rodgers Thermostat question
E> The purpose of the anticipator is to shut of the heater a bit before E> the air temperature reaches the value that you set at the E> thermostat. E> It is nothing more than a small adjustable heater E> located within the thermostat.
This part is correct to a point.
E> The reason that this prevents E> temperature over-shoot is that when the furnace is told to stop E> heating there is still heat stored in the furnace that must still be E> transferred to the house.
this is where you go wrong. The thermostat reacts slowly due to the temp of the wall and it's location. so if you didn't have the anticipator it would overshoot.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. URA Redneck if you keep your thermostat on 85 in the winter.
Hi Home, hope you are having a nice day
On 23-Nov-03 At About 02:43:26, Home and Deranged wrote to All Subject: Re: White-Rodgers Thermostat question
HaD> BGBevill wrote:
>> Appears you are talking about the anticipation setting on the stat.
HaD> Ive noticed that messing with it has little effect. So what exactly HaD> does the setting do?
it heats the mercury bulb a little to help keep the temperature overshoot down.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.
replying to Home and Deranged, Cj wrote: If my white rodgers thrermostat is set at 68 -68 am i saving energy
maybe for the last 13 years????!!!!!!