White-Rodgers Digital Thermostat Buzzing

Our thermostat regulates AC/heat pump. Early this morning, it started buzzing rather loudly while on the "heat" setting. It had been on the same setting all night and started buzzing spontaneously. I thought it might stop on it's own, but after about a minute I adjusted it - thought I had moved the button to "off" but it was dark and I had switched it to "emer heat" which stopped the buzzing. It's never done this and I am puzzled as to what might have caused the noise.

Does it have an internal battery or does it derive the internal battery from the 24V power system?