White or Grey Sch 40 PVC

------------------------------------- Greetings,

I am running a outside circuit from my house to a patio area with a wooden pergola. This will be a wet area. I understand that I should use gray sch

40 pvc for the 15' of underground distance. But, can I use the white (plumbing) sch 40 pvc for some pieces of conduit up in the pergola? I need some tight 90 and 45 degree turns and don't have room for the sweeping grey 90/45 pieces. Nor do I want to use the LB type 90 or 't' pieces.

I can provide any more info if needed.

Thanks, Scott

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 348472 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
scottmachado

scottmachado wrote: ...

... Plumbing pvc isn't specified for elcectrical conduit pvc so won't meet Code. So, short answer is "no"...

You wouldn't be able to make the pull in such tight bends anyway, most likely. Your only real choice w/ what is given is still the 90 to get a tight bend in "the right way" probably; a visual of the problem might elicit more.

--

Reply to
dpb

No you use what is called a sweep. So you can get a fish tape through it. Its a longer sweeping 90 Electrical Supply, not Home Depot.

Reply to
evodawg

Oh I believe you need to use metal conduit per code once you come out of the ground. Have special inside outside 90 with covers for that application.

Reply to
evodawg

You may be able to do this with U.F. cable, which would give you the flexibility you require. If not, another possibility is to transition from PVC to Carflex flexible nonmetallic conduit.

Reply to
RBM

evodawg wrote: ...

DOH!

The OP said he didn't have room -- I was simply pointing out if he tried w/o it, it ain't a gonna' work well... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

scottmachado had written this in response to

:

------------------------------------- scottmachado wrote:

Thanks all,

I don't need to worry about 'pulling' since my plan is to layout the wire with parts slipped on and glue as I go - pulling would be very challenging at best - unless I should not attempt the 'glue with the wire already inserted'?

I have accepted a design with all gray and am fine with that.

Scott

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 348526 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
scottmachado

Electrical PVC is UV resistant and very slightly flexible, among other things. Follow code and avoid problems. Any distributor and even some box stores will have Carlon or other brands of gray PVC fittings. There are decent sized pull boxes, right angles and adapters galore. You should be able to find exactly what you need to get a competent job. Not every source will stock everything, but Ace Hardware and others can special order unusual fittings for you. You do know that gray PVC can be formed into small bends with a heat gun, don't you?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

That method of construction is not permitted by the National Electrical Code. One of the advantages of building a conduit system is that the wiring should be replaceable or upgradeable without changing the conduit. Otherwise, you might as well use a direct burial cable.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

You can get very tight bends if you use non-metalic flexible conduit (CarFlex) and the 90 degree connectors at each end. That is a legal way to make up a run that is as tight as you can do with plumbing elbows

Reply to
gfretwell

Who would know? Or care, really, if it works. Sure it may be a PITA for someone 30 years from now, but chances are it would never be touched. Yes sir, I pulled them wires.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe, but the someone could be whomever did the jabronie job. It seems every single time I do something like that it is me doing 3x the work (the first time, removing the jabronie version and then doing it the right way).

Reply to
George

Exactly, a "right way" is developed over time, because it works best. In this case, using plumbing fittings and threading conductors as you glue, creates a one time assembly, defeating the purpose of having a conduit in the first place. There are certainly enough proper electrical conduit and fitting types to do the job according to Hoyle.(NEC)

Reply to
RBM