White flakes in filtered water?

I recently moved to a new house. After a few months I noticed that the water from the fridge dispenser has white flakes in it, about 1/4" diameter. The fridge has an internal filter, and the house also has a filter on the fridge line. I replaced the fridge filter and removed the line filter's cartridge. There are no white flakes in the regular tap water. If I run the fridge water for a few gallons, the flakes are less munerous, but there are still one or two after 2 gallons.
I guess there must be a bunch of junk in the fridge lines. Are these minerals that I can safely ignore or is this some kind of nasty algae that I have to clean or replace the fridge lines to eliminate?
This is a Maytag fridge with a PuriClean internal filter.
Thanks,
Dave
(remove _rem to reply)
Hi,
I might be wrong but it sounds like you might have parts of the filter floating around in there. The elements are only good for so long. I prefer the external filters so I can see what condition they are in and replace the cartridge when needed.
candice
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CLSSM00X7) wrote in message

Well, I just replaced the fridge filter. I would hope that this expensive item whose sole purpose was to clean my water was actually messing it up.
Dave