whirlpool washing machine broken

Model No. JLHC4900n2 about 1982? It will fill up, but it won't drain or adgitate. Possible pump? I can move the timer along to various cycles but I'm just getting noises from the motor and timer. If the pump is gone, will it still adgitate? I have to syphon the water out in to bathtub....thanx 4 any help

Might be something as simple and cheap as a lid switch:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_11_1.asp#Level1_4

I betting on a bad coupler. Look for small chunks of plastic under the motor on the floor. You can get a kit with new coupler rods at Sears or most appliance places. For Whirlpool I find Sears has a better stock than my local appliance parts guy. It is also a Kenmore. They can cross the model number.

Although if it is truly a 1982 model it would be still belt drive. Kenmore, I believe got the direct drive in 1983 but Whirlpool was still belt drive at least until 1985. Like someone said, it could be the lid switch or could be the fill switch. The machine won't agitate until the timer is told the machine is full of water and if switch is defective that won't happen. However, I believe moving the timer to spin would pump the water out in this case. Sounds like a broken belt or if direct drive the coupler.
Check fro broken belt.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.