Whirlpool washer won't drain or spin...Help! I need to wash my clothes!

Our not-too-old Whirlpool washer won't drain or spin...just holds the water and will agitate if the dial is moved back. Any ideas? Please help us think fast...if we can't fix it we're liable to buy a new one this weekend.
Maybe something with the door switch. Some models will not drain or spin unless the door switch is closed, but will still agitate with the door open. Check to see if its broken or stuck. Or,if your handy you can bypass it temporarily. But only if you know what yuour doing.
With it on a cycle where it should be draining or spinning, press the button for the door down with a pencil eraser or something else that will fit in the hole. If that works, you can rig something up to make the plunger on the door itself a little longer. That will carry you until you have a chance to replace the switch itself.

Mine did that recently. It was the timer - the contact that puts the motor into spin mode had burned up. Cost $100 for a new timer.
baprior wrote:

Hi,
No model# posted....but if the lid switch or lid switch probe is broken on some WLP washers the washer will fill and agitate but will go dead in the drain and spin modes.
http://www.applianceaid.com/dd_lidswitch.html http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html Something that may help.