Whirlpool Washer problem on start up

I have a Whirpool washer (top loader) that having an issue with. Each time we do a wash the top door of the washer has to be slammed to get it going. Now it is hit and miss. Any idea what I need to do to help get this resolved. I can provide the exact model when i get home. thanks

Reply to
david

It is probably just the top cover interlock switch. A ran mine for 20 years without that switch it was jumpered out. If everyone in your house is smart enough not to stick their hand in there while it is running you will be OK.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks, do you know how i can get to it

Reply to
david

Thanks, do you know how i can get to it

Reply to
charlie

Steve N.

I couldn't really get to it (early model direct drive) but the leads going to the timer were easy to reach with the small back cover off behind the controls. I put a wirenut on them and taped it up.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi, That switch is kinda safety feature. You can bypass it as long as one using the washer remembers it is bypassed. In spin cycle openning the lid won't stop the drum now.

Reply to
Tony Hwang