Whirlpool washer fun

Page 1 of 2

My 10 year old+ whirlpool washer went out the other day 3/4 the way through a load. would not drain and the main motor would not run.
Checked it out, and the motor did not have any power. looked at the schematic, and it appeared that the timer assembly was the problem. Priced a replacement at $110+ dollars. ouch! old washer not worth that much.
SO i took the timer off and bent the tabs that hold it together straight and took it apart (non repairable part). Figured out one of the contacts had overheated. Had nothing to lose, so i sanded down the contact on both sides and put it back together. Motor came back on, but it seemed something was still not right. Did not want to drain right. I then took the hoses off the pump only to discover a lump of fabric jamming the pump. a long nose pliers and some words eventually pulled the lump of crud out. Now it seemed to drain, but the pull switch on the timer was stuck on. Then i noticed another plastic part on the floor. (whoops, forgot one lever on the re assembly of the timer) Put it back together, and she is working. Who knows for how long, but i had little money to spend now and i kept it out of the scrap heap for awhile longer.
I theorize the fabric jammed in the pump caused the motor to draw too much current and overheated the switch contacts. Hope it last for a while...
bob

. Priced a replacement at $110+ dollars.

Well worth a little effort and it saved quite a bit of $$$. Could get you another 10+ years.

Good show! Always satisfying to show these machines who's boss. :)
But, you may have done yourself a disservice, as the savings and benefits from a frontloader replacing a toploader start immediately. I don't know what the ROI is, but, depending on how much laundry is actually being done (and where you live), I'm sure it's well under 5 years.
The fellow on http://ecorenovator.org/forum/appliances-gadgets/54-my-laundry-room-upgrade.html calculated that his ROI on a net investment of $150 was one year on just water alone!!! He has to pay for waste water removal, but the other savings would probably more than make up for that for others with municipal sewer.
--
EA

> bob

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/appliances-gadgets/54-my-laundry-room-upgrade.html
Its funny you suggested that. I have looked into it when i get more money. it seems to have advantages. BUT, it also seems many of these units have problems that lead to frequent expensive repairs. So cost savings many not lead to long term savings.
I saw a whirlpool Duet today on craigs list for $50. and i see maytags frequently that have issues cheap. There not issues sandpaper and time will solve without expensive parts.
bob

What types? Mechanical or electrical? In principle, the mechanics of a front loader are *much* simpler than toploaders: no complicated transmission, for one. You have to take one of those apart to believe them.... altho, they seem to prove very reliable.
So cost

Overall, you raise a major and unfortunate point. Solid State electronics is but another strategy for sticking it to, or up, the consumer. Someone posted here recently about their refridgerator needing a circuit board replaced. WTF???
And extended warranties are a big part of that ripoff -- they are basically telling you, up front, that the mfr does not have confidence in their own products. Everybody wants an annuity.....
Garmin now wants to charge me for map updates. I'll be goddammed first. I guess these updates are Garmin's annuity, eh?
--
EA

> bob

Extended warranties are a big rip-off. However they are telling me that the product is actually a good one if the price of the warranties is cheep enough. They do not sell warranties on goods they can not make money off of. Many times the extended warranties is not from the maker of the product but a third party out to make money.
Maps for the GPS units are like the ink to the printers. New maps are not too much cheaper than a whole new GPS unit and you get an updated GPS unit.

Figgers!!
Yeah, printer ink, proly THE greatest annuity CorPirate Merka ever invented.... goodgawd.... Man, they could give away the printers for free, and STILL make out like bandits -- like the bandits they are.
Altho, the absurdity of print cartridges seems to have made it to the general zeitgeist, as companies are now advertising $5 cartridges. I'm sure there is still a scam involved, but mebbe less of a scam than the current one.
--
EA

Toss the color printer in favor of a cheapo b/w laser. I don't miss my rip-off color Epson one bit and my Brother laser probably won't run out of toner in my lifetime. If I absolutely must have a color print of something, I'll take the file down to a commercial printer on a flash drive and have THAT print made for a buck or two. TIP: if you do get a b/w laser printer don't go too cheap. Make sure the toner cartridge and print drum are separate items. I think I paid $80 for my bullit-proof Brother.
nb

GearXS is dumping used HP laser printers for $50. I doubt you can get a set of color/bw ink cartridges for much less than that.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I got a barely used HP LJ2100 for $65 a couple of years ago from CL. A ream of paper fits perfectly in the two trays, and it has an envelope slot as well. Since it's an office printer it has a duty cycle of 15,000 pages per month, which means I will be using it for many years to come.
The only reason to get an inkjet printer is if you are a diehard photographer who uses the printer enough to keep the ink flowing.
Jon
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:29:13 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

When you can get a picture printed on real photo stock for 19 cents, why bother?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

While IANADP, convenience, control, and immediate results would probably be logical reasons. Last I checked you can get some pretty fancy paper, too.
Jon
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:33:47 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

The ink is the problem, not the paper. You will find your colors start fading pretty fast if the sun hits them. Ink jet photos are great if you just want to show somebody your picture and they don't have a PC but 10 years from now that won't be much of a picture.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm pretty sure archival quality inks and papers are available, I know they were when I was reading around on r.p.d. a half-dozen years or so ago.
Jon
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:58:25 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

Regular ink is outrageous, imagine what that must cost.
In real life, paper photos may end up largely being a historical oddity in the near future. My grandkids are always fascinated with our photo albums. They don't really understand a time when you didn't look at pictures on your phone. We will probably end up being like it was at the turn of the last century when people only had a few photos sitting around in fancy frames that were more like art than idle memories I know my kids do not have drawers full of bad photos in envelopes that were never looked at more than once. I do not miss that experience of paying for 27 pictures and only really keeping one or two if any at all. Digital cameras have made the shot to print ratio more like 5,000 to one for me although I do distribute a lot in email or on my web site..

Look in craigslist and pennysaver rags. Many people sell perfectly good washer/dryers sets cheap when they move cuz it's less hassle than moving them. I got my top of the line GE W/D set for $100 cuz neighbor didn't have room to take them. This was an older GE set, top-loader with the little white lint trap riding on top of the agitator.
People make many claims for front loaders, but I've yet to use one that actually cleaned clothes worth a damn. Nothing ever came close to my GEs for getting clothes clean and they were a piece of cake to work on for the two breakdowns (bad pump, leaking tub seal) I had in 10 yrs. Likewise, I left them for the next tenant to use, they still working fine.
nb
bob wrote:

Congratulations- my appliance repairs seldom turn out so well, and I usually end up replacing the busted item or doing without.
--
aem sends...

bob wrote:

You could always add a high current relay if the contacts burn again. I'm old and I understand replacement parts are available for me, that is, except for the CPU. Once it goes, that's it. It is glitching more often as of late. Bzzzzzit! GRONK!
TDD

Did you pull the agitator to see if the sock is still there?

The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago but it was the water valve solenoid that caused the overheating. I replaced the water valve along with the solenoids (all one piece).