Whirlpool Top-Loading Direct Drive Washers

I am still running a Whirlpool belt-driven after almost 26 years. Was wondering how the direct-drive (beltless) washers from Whirlpool stack up up? It almost seems that manufacturers just want to make change even if it means a poorer quality product. What is the most dependable Whirlpool top-loading direct drive washer currently on the market? The Consmmer Reports just confuses me in their selection of washers.
We had a Whirlpool direct drive and the seal broke in the agitator causing water to leak into the transmission and destroying it. With only 2 people in the family it only lasted 5 years. I would not buy another. We replaced it with a Maytag front loader. Consumer Reports says it has poor reliability but we have had good luck with ours. It is overall a simple design. No transmission to break. I'm sure others will disagree.