Whirlpool oven problem after power outage

I've got a built-in Whirlpool oven with electronic controls. Had a power outage recently, and when the power came back, the display showed "PF," which the manual says is normal --> PF = power failure.

However, the exhaust fan is now always on. The oven won't turn on unless I set the temperature to above 400 degrees F, and stops before the oven gets to that temperature. I've tried shutting the power off to the oven from the electrical panel to reset the electronics but that didn't help. I don't have access to the wall plug - it's hidden behind the wall oven and I have to take the whole oven out to get to it - so I can't unplug it directly from the wall socket (if that makes any difference). I'm thinking that 2 things could have gone wrong: (1) electronics are fried, or (2) temperature sensor is shot. I'm leaning towards the temperature sensor as the cause, but after I found out how much it costs, I thought I'd better be sure before getting one. (Man, they're expensive!) Then again, the electronic controls are probably even more expensive.

Any advice and thoughts will be much appreciated.

Reply to
C L

Hi,

Model#?

model# helps.

PF is common for a clock that has lost power.

Something welded/stuck closed....relay, thermostat?

Bad clock, bad temp sensor, temp sensor wires are the 2 common trouble makers for that type of a problem.

Turning the fuses/breaker off should have the same effect as unplugging it.

Oven temp sensor is the cheaper of the 2 parts to try....but may still not help with that fan!??! Most oven temp sensor can be ohmed....*some* info on those...

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks Jeff for the tips and website. Quite a bit of info there. I measured the resistance of the temp sensor and it was just over 1000 ohms at room temperature, so it seems to be in the right range. While taking the electronic panel out, I found a technical specs sheet hidden inside. It says pressing the Cancel/Off button for 5 seconds would start a self-test function for the control board. I tried it, and it returned a result of no fault.

Not sure what else to try.

Reply to
C L