Whirlpool Microwave not working: fix or replace?

Page 1 of 2
Whirlpool Gold Accuwave System built September '08, purchased in December '08. Serial # TRW3626483
Two days ago it stopped working. It turns on, lights on, just doesn't heat at all. There was a clicking sound, almost like there was a bad connection. The sound wasn't loud but it was there. We messed with the filter which lead to a 'F7' error message.
Anybody here have an opinion as to if it should be pitched and replaced or fixed?
Much thanks for any responses in advance.
On 8/26/2013 1:44 PM, Clark W Griswold wrote:

I'd find out the minimum cost to check it out. If you can have it diagnosed for $25 and fixed for less than $100, fix it. Anything more is not worth investing in after five years. You can get a pretty good new one for less than $200 or even a basic model for $75.
Abt has a good reputation and good prices. http://www.abt.com/product/62253/Whirlpool-WMC30516AS.html
replying to Ed Pawlowski , Clark W Griswold wrote:

Thanks for the quick response, Ed. When I filled out the repair form through Whirlpool's site, the local repair firm chosen came with a $125 chart for diagnosis. At that point we thought we'd just get a new one. But we found someone in town who is also certified to fix Whirlpool that will charge $50. They are coming out Wednesday. So we are rolling the dice with $50. We shall see.
Thanks again for your response, Ed. Greatly appreciated!
On 8/26/2013 3:44 PM, Clark W Griswold wrote:

$50.00 is very reasonable for a service call. You won't find many service companies that will run a call for that, keep their number handy. ^_^
TDD

I'd go over and tell him it's broken for $50.00, that sounds like a good racket!
jon
On 8/27/2013 1:46 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

So you would cheat customers by showing up and saying "Yep, it's broken, gimme my money."? Gee, what scruples you have. ^_^
TDD
At least tell him that the offset wobbler is off the shimmyshaft inside the Framistat valve. Needs to be soaked in red lantern oil to clean it up, relubricate the clutch,and it will be fine to fight another day. Now, run that up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes.

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 06:17:43 -0500, The Daring Dufas

And let's hope the $50 repairman has scruples too. You can get into the customer's house that way and overcharge for parts or tell them they need parts when they don't.

Geez, can we overthink this issue to death. For $50, you can buy a perfectly usable microwave. I know, I have one. Walmart. Emerson. 900 watts. $50. I use it 20-30 times a day. Works great. Sheesh.
nb

That is what I think also. Anything less than $ 200 or $ 300 is a throw away if you cn not fix it yourself. It will cost close to that to get anything repaired.
On 8/27/2013 6:47 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Me and my late friend GB would often not charge old folks on a fixed, limited income when diagnosing a problem for them. Their families would pitch in for the repair and we would wind up with a few more customers who didn't mind paying full price. There have been times when we'd find something turned off when some kid played with the outdoor circuit breaker or it was just tripped. If I go on a commercial service call and find something unplugged or a breaker tripped, it's full price. ^_^
TDD
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs. - - - Karl Marx
.

On 8/27/2013 8:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yea, Commie HVAC Repair Company, er,.... Collective. ^_^
TDD
You know Comrade, I've done the same thing. So, I can't really complain too loudly.

A service call is a service call. The service man has to drive to your location and spend the time to check out your appliance. $50 today is a bargain - most charge $65 or more.
My minimum service charge is a half hour @ $50 per hour. The clock starts when I leave my door and stops when I leave yours - so I am paid full rate for one direction only. That means $25 minimum - and $50 if it takes half an hour to get there.
If you drop it off at my door it is straight time. Diagnostics are not free.
On 8/27/2013 11:36 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I charge $65/hr for HVAC/electrical/appliance and $85/hr for telecom, data and electronic equipment service calls. Of course I can't work that much anymore but I'm getting stronger the more I get back out there. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:50:59 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I KNOW I work too cheap - but it's very competetive here.
My comercial network rate is $75. Competition ranges from $35 to $400.
On 8/27/2013 9:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

For a good customer who I do a lot of work for, I give them a discount down to $50/hr and me and my late friend GB would charge old folks or low income people $50 for a service call and not hit them up for an hourly charge. We helped a lot of people out because we knew they didn't have a lot of money and someone needed to help them so we did it. I'm not doing any residential work now because of the poor physical shape I'm in and I can't work everyday so I help my roommate with commercial installations and service calls. We had a couple of young guys helping us today, one was 50 and the other was 20. ^_^
TDD
Wish I lived a bit closer. I'm sure I'd learn a lot from you, and your customers need a young fellow like me to do the jobs that your body just won't allow. If the 20 year old has work ethic, he may do some good for the world.
I really hate seeing otherwise good appliances and such go to the landfill.

On 8/28/2013 7:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thanks for the offer but neither me or the guys I work with can afford to pay anyone right now. We're basically in survival mode until the economy picks up.
A friend of mine who owns a service company and metal working/welding shop is almost as disabled as I am so we're getting together to work out of his shop and find younger folks who want to learn. His youngest son is going to go to HVAC school to learn the basics and we can fill in the knowledge and experience gaps so he can work on his own someday. There are some other projects we want to do that we can do sitting down without having to climb ladders. Since modern HVAC control systems are becoming more complicated with much more energy management and internet connectivity, I can teach youngsters how to handle those systems but it will be a slow start and perhaps both of us will survive long enough to get things going good on their own. ^_^
TDD