whirlpool gold dishwasher leaves a frothy mess

Our less than 3 year old Whirlpool Gold dishwasher (stainless steel exterior) has been leaving unclean dishes after wash/rinse/dry cycle lately. There is sticky residues on the dishes and the inside is genrally wet. I then did a load and waited for the dry cycle to kick in and opened the door. There was lots of frothy water at the bottom. It still goes through all the cycles, drains water (I can see water coming through in garbage disposal) and goes through dry cycle. It just doesn't do an efficient job anymore. Our warrantly has long run out and I am wondering how much it would cost to fix this vs buying a new less expensive dishwasher.

Reply to
SS

At three years, it is well worth fixing. Perhaps the drain is partially plugged and not fully draining?

and
have some troubleshooting information.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Are you using a different soap? I'm not a brand junkie, but when I moved to a hard water area I had to change from Electrasol to the more expensive Cascade. The Sam's Club brand works almost as well and is cheaper.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

Water softener involved?

Reply to
Norminn

That's not good to hear. I have a 1-year-old Stainless Steel Whirlpool Gold dishwasher.

I suspect that you'd be better-off getting this one fixed. It may be an inexpensive repair. It is at least worth a $45 inspection visit from the plumber.

Sorry, if plumbers charge more in your area. Our small town has several good plumbers who are not greedy, and they get all the business that they can handle. We also have several hacks, so you do have to ask around.

This type of dishwasher has performed well for me, and I wouldn't want to throw it out.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

I would check the regular stuff, that a diy can do.

  1. Is the drain properly routed, per manufacture's instructions. It should be routed to prevent back flow into your DW.

  1. There might might be a cleaner rinsing dw soap. Check around.

  2. Maybe a rinse aide might help.

Just some guessing.....

tom @

Tom The Great

I had a GE that acted similarly. The problem was that the control of whether it recirculated the water and shot it out the jets versus sending it to the drain was a sticking diverter valve. Sometimes it would partially open and most of the water would drain so the quality of it's cleaning would vary from "it's working today" to "this isn't working". Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, the valve was an integral part of the whole pump housing. So since we never really liked the DW we just replaced it with a Kenmore. The Kenmore is far and away better the alleged top of the line GE ever was.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
Ashton Crusher