Whirlpool Gas Range (oven) Won't Light

Hello. Apparently, I don't understand how this works. I thought I posted this message already, but I don't see it. Anyway, the problem is with a Whirlpool gas range, model # SF310PEAW0. The oven isn't lighting. We took the front panel off (under the top, behind the knobs) and played around with the wires that are attached to a thing (don't know what else to call it) behind the oven control knob. There are 2 wires, one yellow, one black, and the heavy wire that goes directly into the oven connected to this piece. AFter that, it started working again briefly, but now it is completely dead. The burners are getting gas, so I suppose the problem is electrical, perhaps the ignition or something? Can anyone identify this problem or the part(s) that might need to be replaced? Thank you!
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Thanks for the reply. Yes, oven did resume working briefly, but now it is very dead. I don't even know what you mean by timer controls. This is a very basic model and probably older. It's not self-cleaning and has a digital clock, and that's about it. It could be igniter, or possibly the selector switch? Would that produce the same problem?
We rent and our landlord got this from his sister. The manual no longer exists. He is willing to fix it, but when he tried to find a part, and I'm not so sure he even knows which part it is, he was told he would need the manual. I have a feeling it may not even be worth repairing. He can probably get a used one for less hassle. Thanks again Ed for your input.
~Stacy~
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Hacksaw) wrote in message

Hi,
If the glow coil is not glowing it can be ohmed for continuity....or check for proper power to the glow coil ( 110-120 volts AC ) and if the glow coil is getting power but no go the glow coil it self is bad. The glow coil *can* glow redish and still be bad!! If the ignitor is not getting power, bad control, bad wire would be suspect.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N55 Oven igniter kit for your range.
http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#glow http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#gas-help Repair helps and tips that may help.