whirlpool gas dryer; weird noise then stops

Have an old whirlpool gas dryer that I bought used a while back. It's worked great for a while now. Last week when i started it, i heard a strange groaning/humming noise and the dryer began to turn and after a couple of revolutions it stopped. I could not restart it, checked the outlet, nothing. The next day my wife tried it and it worked so we thought it was a one time thing. Now it's doing it again and it hasn't worked for 2 days. Any ideas?
-Kevin
forgot to mention that after it does this, i smell a faint burning smell for 30 seconds.
kevincw01 wrote:

Hi, Drum motor. Starting cap?

If you can turn the drum without too much effort then the motor is gone.
i can't turn the drum from the inside without _alot_ of effort and even then it doesnt budge much. But if I pop the top off the dryer and turn it that way, it's fairly easy.