Whirlpool Electric Dryer Problem

Hello,
I have an electric dryer that is about 7 years old. I'm a beginner and no nothing about repairs or problems, but I did a little research online.
Here is the problem:
1. Dryer starts and runs fine for 15 minutes then shuts down (probably a safety mechanism)..
2. If I wait 30-60 minutes the dryer will startup on it's own again (if it still had time left for drying)
3. There is an electrical/rubber burning type smell coming from the dryer.
Here is what's been done:
I had a friend take the dryer apart and oil the motor parts that needed it. This worked for about 1 month and now it's doing the same thing. He also cleaned out the lint in the dryer.
Here's what I think is the problem and I just want some confirmation:
The dryer motor is heating up because the bearings are bad. This caused the safety to kick in and the machine to stop. Once the motor cools down, it will then restart and continue heating. It appears to be a bad motor that needs to be replaced. The motor cost $100.00 - the friend will install it for $20.00 and the dryer cost $350.00 brand new.
Two Questions:
Does it sound like the motor?
Should I repair or just replace the dryer (I don't have a lot of money but also do not want to repair it again in another 6 months because of a another problem)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Hoopster
Hoopster wrote:

Hi, Does hot air circulate free thru the drum? Motor has thermal shtuoff strip which will reset after cooled off. Also Excess heat in the drum has safety heat sensor which will trigger. Is it hotter than normal when problem happens inside the drum? You have nice friend. Charging money to do some favor to a friend. I never do. Good luck, Tony
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:20:48 GMT, in alt.home.repair RE: Re:

The $20 to switch out the motor sounds pretty friendly to me. Around here that would cost $65 and I live in a rural "low-cost" area.

Hello - new problem. The dryer started to dry the close and 1/2 way through it stopped. I then tried to start it again and it hummed. Does this sound like the motor?
Hi,

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:03:11 -0700, in alt.home.repair RE: Whirlpool

I would replace it.
Even if the motor is the problem (and it sounds like it is) there will be other problems arising in the coming years.

Vic Dura wrote:

It could also be the drum bearings or glides. Is the drum hard to turn by hand. ? The drum glides may need to be lubed.
Google: dryer drum glides.
Mark