Whirlpool Dishwasher: Motor Hot but Won't Run

The horizontally mounted motor on my 5 year old Whirlpool Model DP840 dishwasher has stopped running. The sprayer arm rotates freely when turned manually. The machine fills and the inlet control valve shuts off the water supply at what appears to be the correct point. The timer progresses through all the cycles but the motor never kicks in and the water never drains out. The motor body feels very warm to the touch, so it appears to be getting some voltage. Any ideas?
Josh wrote:

The motor is probably shot. Could be bearings, could be electrical. I'd pull it out and have it checked by a motor shop or just replace it. You can get one from a local dealer or www.repairclinic.com They also have troubleshooting help too.
Does the motor shaft turn freely? When the motor is disconnected from the equipment?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Perhaps it's a teeny weeny little fork?
TDD
Josh wrote:

Hi, Something jammed? Somehow you will have to manage to turn the motor shaft to see. May have to remove motor or motor/pump assembly.

Turn off the electricity to the dishwasher from the breaker. Remove the kick plate. Remove the fan cover over the motor. Turn the fan with your finger until it moves freely. Turn on the power and check operation. If the motor is running turn off the power again. Put everything back the way it was. Turn on power back on . Something may have been blocking your impeller. If it happens again you may need to access it to clean out what ever is in the way.
Thanks guys. I neglected to reveal that the DW was working fine until I removed it last month to remodel my kitchen. It sat covered with a tarp on my outdoor patio the whole time.
I followed your advice to remove the motor & pump assy and see if the shaft would turn freely by hand. It WOULDN'T at first, then it suddenly broke free. Guess the cold weather and inactivity caused something to temporarily bind. Anyway, after cleaning it and putting everything back together, it's working normally. Good thing: the motor alone is about 80 bucks plus tax & shipping and the motor with pump attached goes for around $135. A complete new DW of the same make-model is $549 at Lowes; that would have probably been the way I'd have gone, considering the machine is 4 or 5 years old already.
In this economy, few can afford that much moolah on a whim. The repair guys will be sad, but you can buy them all a box of donuts on the savings.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus