Whirlpool dishwasher mid-conversion??

The wife wanted a dishwasher...so...we bought a dishwasher! We got it at an auction locally, and it was in 'working' condition. It's a Whilpool model DP840DWGX1, and it is on wheels and has the faucet adaptor so we assumed it to be a rollaway dishwasher, not one that was to be hooked up directly to its own water lines, etc.

We tried to hook it up to the sink, but after a minute or two it gushed water all over our kitchen floor. After cleaning up that mess, I turned it on its back and noticed a connection which was unscrewed and just hanging. I found that odd so I hooked it to the only connection it could reach, where it appeared obvious that it belonged. I sat it up and tried it again, only to have it dump some more water on the floor before I yanked the cord from the outlet. This time, we saw exactly where it was coming from, so I've provided a picture. The water was gushing out of the white, downward-facing connector in the center in the photo.

Here's my thought. I looked into purchasing the conversion kit so that we would not have to roll this thing to the sink every time we want to do dishes. But after looking through the paperwork we got with it, it has the manual for the conversion kit! Did they maybe convert it, or try to convert it and now it's just in a state of conversion-confusion and won't work from the sink anymore? I don't see a parts list in the conversion manual, but there is a long gray somewhat-flexible tube, some aestetic pieces to put around it (to hide the wheels I assume), and a short black flexible pipe with metal threaded adaptors on each end (one is right-angled).

I'd love to turn it back in to a roll away unit right now, as we will be moving hopefully in a couple of months, but after that I'd like to make it a built-in. The manual doesn't show where everything was hooked up at the factory, since they probably assume that you won't start switching connections around arbitrarily. :( I just don't know what needs to be connected differently for this to work. I could probably flip it back over and take a pic from the bottom if that is needed, but I don't know how much water is still in it and what problems my flipping it might cause.

Sorry for the convoluded question, but I'm really unsure what's going on here myself. I appreciate any advice you may have! Thanks everyone!!

Reply to
lgerhardx

Go to repairclinic.com for help. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I just now sent my question to the resident guru there, thanks for the site recommendation!

Reply to
lgerhardx

Well...here is what I was given by the repair clinic:

Apparently, the item where the water poured out of in my picture was the inlet valve...but that doesn't really help me, because I have to believe that the problem is that the hoses are hooked up wrong, or I need to hook the drain hose up to this port, or something simple like that.

Any ideas? :( I'm listing the house for sale next month, and having a working dishwasher sounds better in the ad than a defunct, DIY dishwasher. :(

Thanks!

Reply to
lgerhardx

Portables have a hose that does double duty, supplying the water to the machine, then allowing it to drain back to the sink, right under the faucet connection. Do you have a hose like that? Is one part hooked to the drain under the machine?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, there is a hose that stores in the back of the unit that latches onto the faucet as you mentioned. There is a port with no hose connected underneath that starts dumping water out after it is a couple of minutes into the cycle. Unfortunately, there is no obvious unconnected hose that goes there. So I figure that this was made into a built-in, and then pulled out of the house to be auctioned. I just need to know how it is *supposed* to be hooked up. :(

Reply to
lgerhardx

Used as a portable, this is what you should have (similar as it may not fit your model)

Note that is has two connections on the machine. One supply, one drain.

If it is built in, you need this or a similar type

Most portables can be made into built in style units. In that case, you need to hook the supply line into the fill and run a hose from the drain to a connection on the sink drain. All you need is the proper diameter hose available at a hardware or appliance store. The tailpiece of the sink drain has to be replaced with one that has a connection for the hose, or it can go into the side of a garbage disposal.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski