Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Problem

I hope someone out there can help...heres the problem;

The washer will fill, agitate in all cycles (permanent press, regular, etc). In all cycles it will NOT pump the water out. If I empty the tub manually and advance the timer to the spin step it will spin and complete the cycle. Water does empty via the spin. I pulled the two hoses from the pump, nothing appears to be lodged in and water will flow through there when spinning...

I am leaning towards timer or gearbox, although I don't hear any noises out of the ordinary (grinding etc).

HELP!!!

Reply to
whoopes

I should have mentioned that it is a top loading washer and it seems to do everything in order as it should, except when it comes time to empty the water everything stops and the timer does NOT advance.

Reply to
whoopes

Reply to
Jimmy

Op, please restate your problem. What I think you are saying is that at the end of both agitation segments, the timer won't advance to spin. But, if you advance it yourself into spin, it will spin but it won't drain. None of this makes sense.

Reply to
nospamtodd

If the timer doesn't advance to spin, but washer will spin and drain when you advance it yourself, then it is a timer problem, not a lid switch problem. If it was a lid switch problem, it wouldn't advance to spin, nor would it spin if you advance it yourself.

Reply to
nospamtodd

I should add though, that op's comment that he removes water before putting the machine into spin adds trickery to the equation. Actually, it is more like a segway. Removing water in order to make a washer drain doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I would imagine that if you let the washer do the draining, you wouldn't have to drain it by hand.

Reply to
nospamtodd

I take it your have removed the cover. Sometimes the pump get clogged with "stuff" like some loose threads from clothing. Locate the pump, disconnect the hose(s) and look for a clog.

In most machines you can drain the water almost completely by lowering the drain hose to below the bottom on the tub. Even if the pump is clogged the water will still drain.

There is a possibility that the clogged pump (which was jammed by the clog) may have damaged something. If you pump has it's own small AC motor the motor might have damaged itself from heat. If it is belt driven, the belt may be worn. If it is indeed "direct drive" from the main motor, you might have stripped the impellor from the drive shaft.

It's unlikely to be the timer or the wiring or that kind of stuff. A clog is most likely.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Thanks all for the help. After taking the thing completely apart (:o) ) it was the lid switch after all. The pin in the lid just wasn't doing it's job. Rather then spend 20 bucks on a 12 year old washer, I fabbed a new lid pin with a pen cap!

All works well and family smells a bit better too.

Reply to
whoopes

Interesting. I guess the pump is associated with the spin cycle so it will not start the cycle until the lid is down.

Reply to
John Gilmer