Whirlpool cloths washer will not pump out

The washer will spin but not pump out. The pump is the direct drive type (only a few years old) and I took it off and it is not the problem. The drive to the pump is free (not frozen) so it must be electrical? Is there a clutch between the motor and the direct drive, or what?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Any chance that it ate a sock?? Kinked drain hose?
professorpaul wrote:

No I don't think so. Drain hose is clear. Inlet to "in Hose" of pump is clear.
p4o2 wrote:

Looking at the Whirpool parts list and pics for LSQ8520JQ1, I can not see why the water is not being pumped out "continusously". 1) pump is direct drive (I guess it runs all the time) 2) no valves in inlet or outlet to pump! What am I missing?
The only thing I see different in the pics is that the shaft for the pump looks like it is attached to the pump. When I took the pump off the shaft stayed in the motor?
p4o2 wrote:

NEVER MIND, NEVER MIND, NEVER MIND
Took the pump off again. Shaft does stay in mortor. It is apparent NOW, that the "mortor" is two motors. One to spin, and one to pump the water out (in the same housing) My pump motor is shot or the control is not working from the timer.
Time for a new washer!
This is just plain silly. A WP direct drive washer has only one motor with two shafts. If it is spinning but not draining in the spin cycle, then it has to be something going on with the pump or the hoses that are connected to it. I'll give you a simple fix
1. Empty the water out. 2. Remove both hoses to the pump. Did a sock or something appear? Remove it. 3. Blow through each hose. Clear? Then it isn't the hoses. 4. Replace the pump.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I did say NEVER MIND. Silly or not, the shaft to the pump is attached to it's own armature, acting independly from the one that runs the transmission for washing or spinning. It took me a while to "get it" so do not feel too bad.
A Whirlpool direct drive washer, also under the Kenmore name, has only one motor, and there is only one shaft that extends all the way through the motor. It protrudes on one side for the gearcase, and the other side for the pump. They are not independent. If you are getting motor action for agitate or spin, then you know the motor works. In spin, motor action should run the pump in the direction of drain. If it doesn't drain, you know that there is something blocking it, either in the hose to the pump, the pump itself, or the exit hose.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I give up!