Whining in my pipes

Got a whining in my pipes that only stops when I flush the toilet (any of them) and starts back up when the tank is filled. One stopped for awhile when I tapped the float. Google says to change out the innards of the toilet. I would prefer not to. Does anyone know if just maybe adjusting the float to get a little more or less water might stop it? It goes away when I flush any toilet and I just adjusted the float on the one nearest to my computer when I Googled it. Is this likely to be one causing the problems even though it stops when I flush ANY toilet.
Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

On one of them, the water isn't shutting off. Might be the float's fault in which case bend it down; might be the stopper valve in which case I'd replace it.
On 6/1/16 7:15 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Thanks to all that replied. Since the noise was worse in my office, on a lark I wanted to see what happened with the spigots. Found that the hose outside my office was still on full and the sprayer was not triggered so it wasn't spraying. Apparently that was enough pressure to set it off. Turned it off and the noise went away. Probably still indicative of something getting ready to get weird, but I can live with the noise if it is only when my wife is watering the plants out front. Thanks again to all for the help.
On 6/1/2016 10:23 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

Well, there goes a good usenet thread all to hell.
Anyhow, thanks for checking back. Follow up is rare now days. Rare that anyone takes the time to share what works, and what really happened.
Technical note to Gordon Shumway and Derby Dad. This is the same thread, so in your ear if the Re: offends you. Sit on it, Potsie.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

If the float adjustment is bad water will be too high in the tank and running down the overflow in the middle. If the level is right and it is still using water, the flapper is not seating right. Both are huge water wasters.
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 5:23:18 PM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

Google said that? Google? I was not aware that Google is a plumbing service.

The flushing of any toilet changes the pressure in your plumbing system, lowering It at every fixture. That could certainly stop the whining until the system is back up to full pressure.
I suggest that you wait until you hear the whining and then turn off to fill valve to each toilet one at a time until the whining starts. Since you are not changing the pressure like you are when you flush, you should be able to isolate the problem.
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 8:27:06 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

re: "turn off to fill valve to each toilet one at a time until the whining starts"
I meant "turn off to fill valve to each toilet one at a time until the whining stops"
Sorry.
On 6/1/2016 9:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The second version makes more sense.
Might be a good common sense diagnostic test.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/1/2016 8:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep, Google also does babysitting, provides recipes, gathers up archaic information like what is a fire plow, and has been known to settle legal cases. Google is the end all to all the world's problems.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
On 6/1/2016 8:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Is it possible that closing one of the shut offs one at a time will help diagnose. One or two shut offs closed will make no change, and then closing other shut off will cause the whining to stop? That would help isolate the bad valve. Maybe the OP will get the whining valve first.
Then, in true man form he can say "Stop your whining. I shut you off."
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/1/2016 2:23 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

While it is "whining", turn off one toilet at a time (using the stop beneath the tank). See which one causes the sound to cease.
Then, examine the float valve in that tank (some can be disassembled and cleaned; even a tiny bit of sand can leave it partially open; enough to vibrate as the water squeezes past, under pressure)

How many "stops" beneath the tanks work after being unused for so long?
On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 10:16:11 PM UTC-4, Reggie wrote:

I exercise all my stops at least once a year to make sure they keep working. I don't want to have to shut off the whole house if I need to repair 1 fixture.
On 6/1/2016 11:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Few people have such discipline, and attention to detail. Which makes a lot of money for plumbers. Just not YOUR money, eh?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/1/2016 7:14 PM, Reggie wrote:

All of ours (3 sinks, 3 toilets) are in perfect working order.
If yours *aren't*, rue the day a flexline fails, etc.!
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 12:10:26 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

install ball valves they last seemingly forever

I like the gray plastic angle stops. My nasty well water does not hurt them
On 6/1/2016 9:25 PM, bob haller wrote:

Yup. I did that when we moved in, years ago. Quarter turn off/on.
Unfortunately, the "handles" on the stops are very small (poor choice of mine, at the time). So, I've made "adapters" that slips over them (as they are all identical, one adapter design suffices for all!) to give you something more substantial to hold onto (when you're crouched down trying to access the damn things!)
Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

I have seen something similar with a water pressure regulator. Increasing the pressure slightly made the noise stop. Something to consider.