Whilst falling back this weekend

Page 2 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

Ok, but I like the idea of cutting an hour of light off of 3:00AM and sewing it on to 8:00PM. I'd do it twice, were I king.

THe *measurement* of time is an artificial construct. So?

I don't know about you but "human society" is a fairly important part of my life.

Ok. That isn't important?

Reminds me of the SNL (IIRC) skit "A mind is a terrible thing". ;-) <snip trailing stuff not responded to>
-- Keith
[snip]

Cutting off some and sewing it on the other end actually makes it SHORTER. Perhaps that's what you want.

It's only the nonsense about changing the measurement changing the thing itself.
I know someone who has trouble with high blood sugar. Some would really wish that meter had a button on it, that would change it to normal. :-)

Humanity currently occupies a small part of this planet (which it has only very limited control over), which is itself an extremely small part of our universe. Human beings have been around for a small part of the amount of time out universe has existed. Then, how would you know this universe is the only one?

It's a comment about the increasing anti-intellectual qualities found in too many people.

Could your news program be quoting sigs when it shouldn't?

Mark Lloyd
snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

Depends on the sharpness of the cut and the stitch used. DST uses very sharp scissors.

It doesn't change time, only our perception of it, which is all that it was ever designed to do.

Denial is a powerful thing.

How much of the "this planet" - "small part" gives a rats ass about DST? That "small part" does care.

...not to mention the look-down-the-nose attitude of the academic elite.
BTW, the SNL skit was a take-off on the UNCF slogan.

Nope. You're including stuff at the end that you didn't snip.
Here is what I snipped (you'll note that it did snip your sig):
-----------B E G I N S N I P ---------------------------
"A mind is a terrible thing to have..." :-)

amid "no

and
------- E N D O F S N I P ------------------
--
Keith

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:43:06 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Mebbie to you. DST happens to coincide with the offshore fishing/diving season. I rather like an extra hour of sleep before going out and extra daylight to return to shore.

Then you could have GONE TO BED EARLIER! It's no reason to mess with everybody's clocks.

Mark Lloyd
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:55:26 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I don't wanna. Reset yer clock and quit whining. <G>
@eatel.net says...

Zactly! ;-)
--
Keith

snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

I rathewr like it. If you're living in the south, I can understand. For those of thus in the North, the time shift is rather nice. Who wants it light at 3:00AM? Don't like it? Move to AZ where it's not needed.
-- Keith

The bride got me this year. I did not turn down the hot water t-stat in the spring/summer. Waiting for her now to tell me the hot water is too cold <grin>. -- Oren

I just replaced mine because they were 10 years old.

Mark Lloyd
Back in the 70s energy shortage they stayed at DST for a couple years. Frankly I HATE winter and dark at 5 pm.
I wish we would stay at DST forever
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

One year. ...and kids were standing in the dark waiting for school busses.

Move to AZ, where your attitude makes sense.
--
Keith

krw wrote:

They do now! I drive SB and start pickup at 7AM. I have to turn the dome lights on inside the bus so the kids can find a seat. Looks like next year I'll be unloading at the school in the dark too. Ugh!
Steve 41N

And are unable to go to bed earlier, and get up when it's light.

Of course, EITHER "DST forever" or "DST never" would be much preferable to the current situation. The amount of daylight is determined by the heath's rotation and axial tilt, not governments and stupid mind games.

Mark Lloyd
snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

But governments and businesses determine time. By your "logic" we should get rid of time zones altogether and just go bay local solar time; not a good idea.
Stop whining and set the clocks Saturday night.
--
Keith

That may be the worst bullshit ever. They may determine standards for MEASURING time. That's a long way from determining time.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

The sun does not tell you what time to be at work or school nor does it penalize you for being late. Farmers, burglars, and a handful of other professions govern their lives by the comings and goings of Old Man Sol; for the rest of us, we're at the mercy of a mechanism.
That the mechanism can be adjusted is a boon.

A mechanism that could control time may seem useful when you've just had an accident and wish you could back up a few minutes and do things differently. Of course, this fails to coincide with reality.
A world where governments and/or businesses and/or clocks could control time would be a very different world from the one we live in.

Mark Lloyd
Back in the 70s energy shortage they stayed at DST for a couple years. Frankly I HATE winter and dark at 5 pm.
I wish we would stay at DST forever

What I hate is being too stupid to adapt schedules to reality.