While gone a week, refrig died, rug wet; how to clean it?

Just got back from a 1-wk trip; freebie old small refrig (likely permanently) died while gone.
All of course melted, ditto ice on freezer walls, etc, and who knows what horrible stuff was mixed in when it leaked out and deeply-wet some of the (hard, office- type) carpet within maybe 3 feet of the door.
Thus far, I've used my shopvac ("wet/dry") *very* throughly, but sucked up *very* little waterEtc. Surprisingly little.
So, my idea is to saturate that region of the rug with some kind of penetrating (mold-killing, if mold indeed exists) soap solution, let wait for, what, 10, 20 minutes?, and then suck it out (as much as I can),
the soak-in plain water, suck up,
and repeat until soap pretty much gone (ie diluted out & sucked up).
Comments on that first part?
Now, assuming that idea was ok and in fact "obvious", what kind of "soap"?
And how much to mix into water (ie, concentration)?
Ideas?
THANKS!
David

Odds are it just frost-melt , unless fridge was really filthy. Put a fan on it for a day, then have somebody put their nose down there and sniff, and compare it to elsewhere in the room.
But if it wasn't just water, why reinvent the wheel? Rent a carpet cleaner for half a day, and buy a jug of the solvent. Rent from a real rental place, not a grocery store. Yeah, you'll probably have to do the whole room, or the spot will show.
If it still smells funky after that, time to replace the carpet. (Hope it isn't particle board underlayment under that carpet- no way to cure that once wet, other than replacement.)
(and why on earth do you have carpet under a fridge, anyway?)
aem sends....
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:22:26 -0400, David Combs wrote:

How about heavy duty carpet cleaner?
David Combs wrote:

How big is the rug? Just roll it up and send it to cleaner. Will come back as new.
There are a number of products, including Lysol, that will not need the rinse job.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

It's the only way to be sure. Mostly ;-)
On 15 Jul 2007 12:22:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

I would just let it dry, and if there is any surface dirt, I'd sweep or dry-vacuum.
Not everything turns into mold, especialy if you have no mold now. Oh, yeah, like he said, you can sniff the formerly wet spot, and the always dry spots. It will probably smell the same, or will gradually get to that point.

On Jul 15, 11:22 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Go to your nearest janitorial supply store and buy a quart of carpet "pre-spray" containing enzymes. Read instructions for diluting and spray on with a spray bottle or garden sprayer. Spray heavy enough for it to penetrate to the carpet backing. Let sit wet according to instructions to break down the organic matter. Then rinse out with plain water and your wet vac. Or rent a carpet extraction cleaner for a day. Suck out as much water as you can then put a fan on it. Don't use "soap" for dish detergent. Get the right stuff.
Mold can begin to grow in 48 hours, depending upon temperature/ humidity, so speed is important. If it has been long enough for mold you might have to take up the carpet, expecially if there is padding underneath. Alternatively you could try a product designed to kill mold in fabrics. Test all chemicals first to make sure colors don't run or change.