Which way to point a TV antenna?

Since we are discussing tv, what is the correct way to point a conventional TV antenna? I have been going on with this between several people and no one agrees.

_+++>>>>\\\\\\\\\\\\_ +++>>>>//////

Ok, here's a picture (sort of) of the antenna. The small arrows on the left are the UHF, the Large arrows are the VHF. If I want to receive a station directly North, should the small arrows (UHF end) or the large arrows (VHF end) point toward the north? Some people said the arrow shape of the antenna should point toward the station, others say it's supposed to be pointed away so the signal is caught inside the arrow. Who is right?

By the way, I have tried ot both ways. My nearest station is 55 miles away, so reception is not the greatest either way, but it seems that as long as EITHER end is pointed toward the station, it works pretty well. If neigher end points toward the station, I get nothing. However, there must be a "correct" end to point toward the station. (or maybe no one has ever agreed) ????

By the way, I found a website that said the smaller element should point toward the station, but does that mean the smaller VHF element or are they including the UHF elements which are smaller yet? (Why dont they just have a picture instead of trying to explain it).

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

The left end of your diagram should point toward the station. Just look around your neighboorhood. Every time I look, like 95+% of them are pointed the same way.

Reply to
trader4

caught inside the arrow. think of the shape of the arrows as a dish to recieve the signal.

Reply to
Chub

I doubt I could find an outdoor TV antenna in our neighborhood. Just about everybody (except me) has cable.

Reply to
CJT

The small elements on a Yagi point towards the transmitter. Another way to look at it is to look for the elements that actually connect to the 300ohm twin-lead- these elements should be as far from the transmitter as possible.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Here's a good site that will help you.

Mikepier

Performance is the only thing that counts. But. the standard ways is the shorter elements are at the front and the longer elements are at the rear. The front is the part of the antenna that is closest to the station. If countryside is open with no interference from hills, trees, houses, etc., the best reception will be obtained by the front pointing to the stations. Any interference and the the antenna may perform best when pointed several degrees from dead on. In the case of a huge reflector (trees, building, mountain, etc.) in the opposite direction from the station, turning the antenna around may provide superior performance.

If the stations are all in the same general direction, just tune the tv to the weakest station and rotate the antenna until you get the best picture.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
spudnuty

I was just thinking the same thing. I started thinking which neighbor has an antenna, and I dont recall seeing any. This is a very rural area, and I think almost everyone has satellite dishes (no cable available). And then, there are my Amish neighbors whose children love to come over here to get a peek at my tv, and to them even the commercials are exciting....

Reply to
maradcliff

I bet I could get the best reception in the area if I had the nerve to climb to the top of my 90 foot silo. But I dont !!!! Besides, I'd need to run coax about 160 feet to the house, so I'd lose what I gain in all that cable.

Thanks to all that replied. I have been running it backwards, I'll have to spin it in the morning. I have an economy rotor. Thats an old bearing on the bottom of the mast, welded to a bracket and a vice grips for spinning it from the ground level. My indicator is the pencil marks on the bracket. My locking device is a pipe hanger with a nut and bolt in the center. Yep, hi-tech, but it works :)

Reply to
maradcliff

I haven't had a TV in ten years, and when I do see TV, I find it interesting that the quality of the shows is so incredibly low, and that the quaility of the ads is so high. Sad commentary perhaps!

Reply to
Tim and Steph

Sounds like you got the satellite blues, as AC/DC would say.

Mikepier

I'll probably join you once they obsolete my sets. There's very little (or, I'm guessing, nothing) on TV I couldn't do without, especially the current programming.

The one thing I might miss is the PBS News Hour.

Reply to
CJT

They want your name, address, ZIP code, email address telephone number, and Lord knows what else so they can convince you, ultimately, to get Direct TV.

Screw 'em.

Reply to
HeyBub

Small end toward the transmitter. The big end will act as a minimal reflector for the UHF stations.

Reversed, the big end will shield signals from getting to the UHF elements.

Satellite TV has much better p*rn than does the over-the-air stations, though.

Reply to
HeyBub

There's an easy solution to that..... You know that asshole who sold you that lemon car a few years back. Use his name and address....

Reply to
myself

Although you don't have to enter anything but a ZIP. No cookies are required (although you do need to enable Javascript).

Got a better site?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

have you thought about satellite?

it's pretty competitive

if you have a view to the southern sky you can get womens mud wrestling on tv

Reply to
chickenwing

It you can put an antenna up 90', go for it.

Use RG-6 (quad shielded) cable and the losses will not be unreasonable. You can even consider going to RG-11 (special order) or putting an antenna mounted amplifier up there.

We are lucky: we are about 40 miles (as the crow flies) to the nearest TV stations and the roof top antenna is "gud enuf." We get the "local" news of the three nearest cities (Richmond, VA, Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD). That would not happen with a dish. The disk would cost over $400/year. My antenna installtion (DIY) totaled less than $200 and that was 7 years ago.

When there is nothing good on, I just go into the bedroom and read.

BTW: on occasion I have picked up Philadelphia, PA.

Reply to
John Gilmer