Which to get first ?

Page 1 of 2
Wood Stove or Vinyl Flooring ? I have my basement stripped already and getting ready for flooring. Should I get the Wood Stove first since that usually comes with that concrete layer platform that could be put underneath. Or is the proper route to get the flooring done first ? sorry for the noobish question.
Did you tell your insurance co/agent about the woodstove?

I doesn't really matter because you shouldn't have vinyl under the stove. Put the platform right on your concrete floor and bring the vinyl up to it.
Personally, I would do the stove first and put the platform down. Then let the vinyl installer worry about the transition.
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 06:56:12 -0800 (PST), Pat

Put the floor down first and then put a proper shield down under the woodstove. Otherwise, somewhere down the road when you decide to remove the woodstove, you'll have a square of uncovered concrete to deal with.
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:39:33 -0500, "john"

Doesn't matter. Careful with that woodstove, though. I've seen what damage a wood stove can do. A woodstove can generate a lot of heat--get the smallest one you can find.

Agree with all almost. It don't matter, as you won't put flooring under the stove. If you do put it, and put bricks on top, there will be a pattern where the sheet goods are a different color due to a different exposure to heat and light. Definitely line the floor and walls. And your insurance will go up about 25% or more.
Steve

are you kiddin me ? Thats one thing I overlooked. They think of that as such a hazard ? geez.. I guess a pellet stove would be the same.. I thought about one of those too. Something that runs off pure wood is my main goal though... who knows what type of oil / gas crisis were going to have in a year from now...or longer. As long as I can heat my home somehow...is all I care about
Im probably going with pergo flooring. (no glue needed) Putting the pergo down first seems like the way to go. I appreciate the input.

Call your agent. Mine went up 25%. Yours may be less or more. If you do not notify them of the alternate heating device and do have a fire, they can, and probably will, deny the claim. We found out about ours on a yearly update. They asked if we had a wood stove, and we hadn't previously. We said, oh, yeah. That's when we found out about it.
A neighbor's house was almost totaled a few weeks ago from a flue fire on a wood heating stove. They do have risks.
Steve

I don't have any additional premium for a stove. They wanted to ensure it was adequate installed. That's all. I didn't have a problem with that -- our building inspector used to keep a picture of it on his bulletin board with the label "How to install a wood stove". But then again, lots of people around here heat with wood.
makew certain your basement is 100% dry ALL THE TIME, ore you will just ruin a new wood floor........
What insurance company?
I don't have any additional premium for a stove. They wanted to ensure it was adequate installed. That's all. I didn't have a problem with that -- our building inspector used to keep a picture of it on his bulletin board with the label "How to install a wood stove". But then again, lots of people around here heat with wood.

You probably mean: They may well be entitled to deny the claim IF the fire was caused by the stove or something related to its installation. If it was caused by something else, bad wiring, etc. aiui the stove is not relevant.
I mention this because I heard that half of the people losing their homes to foreclosure didn't even contact the bank to find a better alternative, which might exist. The two seem parallel to me.

I think it depends on where you are. I'm in the northeast where wood heat is common, and our basement wood stove is noted on the policy, but dfoesn't affect our insurance. I think if it goes up it's maybe because of where you live, or a non-conventional installation?? A wood stove shouldn't be any riskier than an oil or gas furnace.
That said, pellet stoves are a lot cleaner, and I have one in my shop. I happen to enjoy cutting and splitting wood, but I'll probably switch to pellets in the house one day.
k.

"k" <keith> wrote

Agreed, the insurance difference depends on where you are. In my area, I send them a copy of the fireplace inspection annually and get a small reduction for it. I have to (and want to) use a reputable chimney company to get that.
Pretty much works out to a free cleaning and inspection annually <Grin>. Might want to see if thats a little hidden clause where you are as well.

I thought the OP was asking about a wood burning stove. There is a big difference to an insurance company between a fireplace and a wood burning stove. The stove is rated higher. If we had put in a fireplace, there would have been NO change in insurance.
Steve

Those pellet stoves, arent you able to use corn as a substitute ? Or is that another kind of stove ?
A few years ago corn would be the cheaper substitute I would think....now forget about it...with all these ethynol factories going up left and right..

this is a great question but has detailed great answers. consider your climate and drainage and desired insulation, lots of info: http://www.buildingscienceconsulting.com/resources /
Sorry guys, Another question I forgot to mention. My dad tells me a Wood Stove is more efficent and heats up the house better then a built in Fireplace. But he may be saying this to persuade me from getting a Fireplace because it would be alot of masonary work for my place.
Is it true or no? I would think the Fireplace would heat it up better since their usually bigger.
john wrote:

Dad's right...fireplaces are far less thermally efficient than wood stoves--in fact, unless they contain an insert or other specific designs, they may well be a net loss rather than input...
john wrote:

Fireplaces are TREMENDOUSLY inefficient. Just think about it: You've got ONE side facing the heated area, a huge funnel running from inside to outside, and artificial convection sucking the heated air out of your house! Enclosed fireplaces are a bit more efficient than open units, for sure.
ALL the surfaces of a wood stove are exposed to the heated area, and there is only a small air inlet. It can't help but be much more efficient.