which tile saw to get

Damn. It's too late to put it all back! Can we still get the therapist?

Some stuff really is valuable. Some once was. And then the debris covers all. Sooo much. She is having a problem going from rich to poor. Not a problem I expect to ever have!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Thanks to all for the responses. I'll probably get a 7" rail saw at a big box for around $200, and maybe sell it afterward. Actually first I'll monitor Craigslist for a little while to see if there's a deal on a used one. The discussion of curved cuts was a bonus. A related item: I have been obsessing a little about how to handle the 2 floor drains, which each sit in a slight depression in the floor. I was thinking of tiling around them (necessitating curved cuts) but in 15 years I have never used them for drainage - in fact one has a rubber plug in it, and the other I only discovered after taking up the carpeting. So I am thinking of this: tiling right over them, but make the tile right over the drain removable by just sticking it down with double sided tape or caulk or plumbers putty or something. So if I

*really* had to, I could still access the drain, but meanwhile wouldn't have to look at it or trip over it or make fancy tile cuts around it. -- H
Reply to
Heathcliff

i see tile saws on craigslist all the time. also home depot sells their rental machines occasionally.

a tile that is not fastened to the floor and has a gap under it chances cracking if you step on it or roll something heavy over it. it will also sound hollow when you step on it during dancing class.

Reply to
chaniarts

UPDATE - many thanks to all who responded. In the end I did not buy a saw, but found a better way to score and snap. I found that after using the tile cutter to score the tile, I could deepen the score by going over it with a carbide scoring knife, the kind you use to score tile backer board. The tile could then be snapped reliably by various methods. For full-width scores I put an unfolded cardboard box on the floor, lay a quarter-inch diameter steel rod in a crease (so it doesn't roll around), put the tile on it and step or stomp on it to snap. Other pieces I put in the bench vise, etc. Going over the score with the scoring knife three or four times made the snapping work almost all the time. The only thing I couldn't do, of course, was "go around a corner" - i.e. every cut had to be across the full width of the piece. It's been a little laborious but suits my work method, which has been to do a couple hours at a time evenings and weekends. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

"Heathcliff" wrote

It's been a little laborious but suits my work method, which has been to do a couple hours at a time evenings and weekends. -- H

You got it done, and you are happy with the results. What else matters?

But tile saws ARE fun to work with if you are doing a big job, or exacting stuff.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B