Which system is best?

I had a couple of estimates for basement drains and pump. One system digs to below the footer installs a drain pipe then gravel and a pump (I believe that this is a typical french drain). The other called waterguard installs a channel on top of the footer with 1/4 inch gap on the wall side to allow wall water in to the channel. Their claim is that the channel wont get clogged with dirt and the pump will work less because system one is disturbing the soil thus attracting more water then is already there. My location has a high water table. What system would do the best job at keeping my basement dry?
Talk to your neighbors and ask for references and check them out.
You don't even mention where you live!
Wayne

NJ