Which saw to buy

Page 2 of 2

Thee are cross cuts and thee are cross cuts. For your use, a miter saw would have been better.
Cross cutting a 30" board down to 24" is a different story, or trimming a couple of inches off a 14" part for a drawer is just fine. Lopping a couple of inches off that 2 x 4 is not what they are suited for.
Before you sell it though, think about the future. Do you want to make a bookcase? Small cabinet? Kid's furniture? The tablesaw will be ideal for it. Take a lesson or buy a book and you may find it is a great tool. Take a peek at my web site to see what I've made for grandkids and my wife. If not interested, OK, sell it. May want to do it some day? Hang on for now.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:24:49 -0500, CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

A solid-core door makes a great workbench. A few 2x4's and you're all set.

The first thing I'd suggest is a *good* circular saw and speed-square for the 2xs. For the circular saw I'd look closely at the shoe. A stamped steel shoe is a loser, IMO. I rather like the Porter Cable MAG saws. I don't have one, but...

Which table saw. If it's a decent saw, that's all you need.

B&D sucks (ok, their "professional" stuff is OK.
If you want a good, yeat *cheap* miter saw try: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber891 I bought one six months ago and am quite impressed by it, for a Franklin at least.
--
Keith

Miter saws are great to have particularly for trim work but if the project is small you can easily use a miter box and hand saw for the trim and then I would suggest a Bosch jigsaw using Bosch blades. It is the most versatile sawing tool there is and with a ten tooth blade and a guide I can cut 2x4 fairly fast and smooth. They also work great for cutting plywood and ripping with a good guide. Based on my previous experiences with jigsaws I would have never recommended such but Bosch and other high quality jig saws have changed all that. It would not be the preferred tool for cutting dimensional lumber all day long but from the description of what you do you should look into it. --- Steve
(Amazon.com product link shortened)"8013&v=glance --- Bosch jigsaw

The circular saw is the one most people have. I think you should buy one with a cord assuming you have power at your location. You can make a perfect cut if you guide it with a straight edge. Skil makes a nice saw but any brand should do for occasional use. Here is a link for one inexpensive saw: (Amazon.com product link shortened)38189889/sr=1-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-8667406-8884035?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n"8013
This type of saw, however, is one of the most dangerous power tools ever because of the way the blade spins toward the user. Danger of kickbacks is significant. Also, if you get your finger in there it will cut it off before you can blink.
With that said, the "sidewinder" is the most commonly owned saw out there because it can do the most common jobs and can do so accurately. It will cut 2x4's with no prob. For perfect cuts just use a square like this one to guide the base of the saw: (Amazon.com product link shortened)38190154/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/002-8667406-8884035?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n"8013
It will also cut paneling quite accurately. I like to use a clamping straight edge where accuracy or appearance is an issue. Here is an example: (Amazon.com product link shortened)38190310/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/002-8667406-8884035?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n"8013
good luck! Lawrence
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:24:49 -0500, "CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] I have just just about ever kind of saw there is... and if I were going to build a small closet and I had no saws...I would most likely advise you to buy a couple of C Clamps a straight edge..and a circular saw...
I do not quite understand what you mean by covering the closet with veneer however...?
In my woodshop my Cabinet saw is king... in my backyard my saw saw is king...
Bob G.