Which (portable) air compressor for nailers, inflating tires

you won't be ablet to blast or sand using a portable one, at least for longer than a few seconds or so. read the air requirement specs on the tools you want to use, and buy a compressor that will provide that.

Realistically, what else might I really want to use it for around the house? Sandblast my mower blades? Sand some drywall?

-Pat

I just want to be able to install trim/moulding, occasional 2x4 framing, fill up car/bike tires etc.

Prefer: quiet, portable (carry up/down stairs), reasonably priced, oiled.

I don't need to paint/grind etc.

Thanks in advance.

-Pat

Lots of good ones out there.

Just do yourself a favor and buy LARGER than you think you need right now. Once you get it you will find dozens more uses for it

AMUN

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

There are all manner of air-powered tools available- hammers, sanders, cutters, wrenches, etc., etc.

For example:

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

try using a leafblower. lots faster blowing the dust/sawdust outside. wear eye and dust protection

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I don't need to paint/grind etc.

Thanks in advance.

-Pat

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

Get the largest you can carry. You will at least want to use it with a blow gun occasionally, and those take a lot of air.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Lots of good ones out there.

Just do yourself a favor and buy LARGER than you think you need right now. Once you get it you will find dozens more uses for it

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Would I have to give up, say, portability to be more versatile?

Realistically, what else might I really want to use it for around the house? Sandblast my mower blades? Sand some drywall?

-Pat

Amun wrote:

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

How much is "a lot"?

Something I can move easily from the garage to the basement...and work with a blow gun...seems ideal.

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

Prefer: quiet, portable (carry up/down stairs), reasonably priced, oiled.

I don't need to paint/grind etc.

Thanks in advance.

-Pat

I think your concept of an oiled compressor is a mistake. Your not using this for production work. Wander through Sears.

Reply to
SQLit

Don't forget the compressor's electrical requirements. If the compressor is big enough to need wheels, it might need a dedicated circuit, and that can mean a beefy extension cord even heavier than that long air hose.

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I agree that getting a large is othen worthwhile but a large unit can be a real pain in the back to move around. I have a largish Porter Cable. It handles everything I have thrown at it. I picked it up at an auction for $80, retail was over $300. I may, someday, get a small double hotdog or pancake for better portability.

A buddy has a senco oiled that is fairly portable that he has had good results with. Also , lok at some of the Bostich and Porter Cable kits for a fair value.

BTW - I never realized how useful a blow gun would be around the garage/shop till I had one.

Reply to
No

oiled.

I don't need to paint/grind etc.

Thanks in advance.

-Pat

Lots of good ones out there.

Just do yourself a favor and buy LARGER than you think you need right now. Once you get it you will find dozens more uses for it

AMUN

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I agree a blow gun is useful. BUT I used to use it in liu of a dust collector-- and that's a really bad idea. All that dust becomes airborn, goes into your lungs, etc. etc. Get a dust collector (they start at under $150, even under $100 if you get a very small one) and then just use the blow gun for detail cleaning-- let the vacuum system get the majority of the stuff.

You'll thank yourself in a few decades...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

If you need air in both places frequently, run an air line between the basement and garage and keep a larger compressor in one place or the other. If that's the only reason you need 'portability' you don't really need a portable compressor.

Get the largest you can carry. You will at least want to use it with a blow gun occasionally, and those take a lot of air.

How much is "a lot"?

Something I can move easily from the garage to the basement...and work with a blow gun...seems ideal.

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I don't. Oilless compressors are LOUD and tend to not work as well, IMHO.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

"Pat Coghlan" snipped-for-privacy@coghlan.ca

Heftier power tools can use 7 to 10 cfm. Blow guns can use tons of air. Any compressor will have a resevoir to compensate so short intervals are not a problem. My PC pancake is about 2.7 cfm and handles all the light loads I've ever needed. Nail guns, tire fills, blow gun, but only for a few minutes at a time.

How portable does portable have to be? It may be easier to lug a 50' air line than a compressor, but a compressor on wheels is easier to move than

200' of air line.
Your budget will be a factor also. Decide what is important to you and take a look at .
for starters. Big range of $$$
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski