Which (portable) air compressor for nailers, inflating tires

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070708010708070903060207 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I just want to be able to install trim/moulding, occasional 2x4 framing, fill up car/bike tires etc.
Prefer: quiet, portable (carry up/down stairs), reasonably priced, oiled.
I don't need to paint/grind etc.
Thanks in advance.
-Pat
--------------070708010708070903060207 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------070708010708070903060207--
Pat Coghlan wrote:

Get the largest you can carry. You will at least want to use it with a blow gun occasionally, and those take a lot of air.
Bob
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070703000903000505030002 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
zxcvbob wrote:

How much is "a lot"?
Something I can move easily from the garage to the basement...and work with a blow gun...seems ideal.
--------------070703000903000505030002 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"> </head> <body bgcolor="#ffffcc" text="#000000"> zxcvbob wrote:
--------------070703000903000505030002--
If you need air in both places frequently, run an air line between the basement and garage and keep a larger compressor in one place or the other. If that's the only reason you need 'portability' you don't really need a portable compressor.
-Tim
largest you can carry.&nbsp; You will at least want to use it with a blow gun occasionally, and those take a lot of air. </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>How much is "a lot"?<BR><BR>Something I can move easily from the garage to the basement...and work with a blow gun...seems ideal.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
"Pat Coghlan" snipped-for-privacy@coghlan.ca

Heftier power tools can use 7 to 10 cfm. Blow guns can use tons of air. Any compressor will have a resevoir to compensate so short intervals are not a problem. My PC pancake is about 2.7 cfm and handles all the light loads I've ever needed. Nail guns, tire fills, blow gun, but only for a few minutes at a time.
How portable does portable have to be? It may be easier to lug a 50' air line than a compressor, but a compressor on wheels is easier to move than 200' of air line. http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?eT7&pY51
Your budget will be a factor also. Decide what is important to you and take a look at . www.tools-plus.com/air-powered-compressors-hand-carry---portable.html for starters. Big range of $$$
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Don't forget the compressor's electrical requirements. If the compressor is big enough to need wheels, it might need a dedicated circuit, and that can mean a beefy extension cord even heavier than that long air hose.
-Bob

Lots of good ones out there.
Just do yourself a favor and buy LARGER than you think you need right now. Once you get it you will find dozens more uses for it
AMUN
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060805000507060005070406 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Would I have to give up, say, portability to be more versatile?
Realistically, what else might I really want to use it for around the house? Sandblast my mower blades? Sand some drywall?
-Pat
Amun wrote:

Prefer: quiet, portable (carry up/down stairs), reasonably priced, oiled.
I don't need to paint/grind etc.
Thanks in advance.
-Pat
Just do yourself a favor and buy LARGER than you think you need right now. Once you get it you will find dozens more uses for it
AMUN
--------------060805000507060005070406--
you won't be ablet to blast or sand using a portable one, at least for longer than a few seconds or so. read the air requirement specs on the tools you want to use, and buy a compressor that will provide that.
I just want to be able to install trim/moulding, occasional 2x4 framing, fill up car/bike tires etc.
Prefer: quiet, portable (carry up/down stairs), reasonably priced, oiled.
I don't need to paint/grind etc.
Thanks in advance.
-Pat
Lots of good ones out there.
Just do yourself a favor and buy LARGER than you think you need right now. Once you get it you will find dozens more uses for it
AMUN
There are all manner of air-powered tools available- hammers, sanders, cutters, wrenches, etc., etc.
For example: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?f=displaysubcats&CategoryID&tab=7
HTH, J
Are you going to use it at one location (e.g. your house)? Then invest in a larger compressor, and enough hose to get you where you need to go.
Besides my nailers, my favorite tool to use is an air ratchet and impact wrench. Can't drive those with most portable compressors (at least when you define portable as being able to easilly cary it upstairs...)
Mine stays in the garage, and it's very easy to run a hose into the house for the few times I've needed to.
Now if you're planning on taking it around to different physical addresses, that's another story...
-Tim
</PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><PRE wrap="">I just want to be able to install trim/moulding, occasional 2x4 framing, fill up car/bike tires etc.
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=""><!----> Lots of good ones out there.
Just do yourself a favor and buy LARGER than you think you need right now. Once you get it you will find dozens more uses for it
AMUN
</PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

I agree that getting a large is othen worthwhile but a large unit can be a real pain in the back to move around. I have a largish Porter Cable. It handles everything I have thrown at it. I picked it up at an auction for $80, retail was over $300. I may, someday, get a small double hotdog or pancake for better portability.
A buddy has a senco oiled that is fairly portable that he has had good results with. Also , lok at some of the Bostich and Porter Cable kits for a fair value.
BTW - I never realized how useful a blow gun would be around the garage/shop till I had one.

try using a leafblower. lots faster blowing the dust/sawdust outside. wear eye and dust protection

I agree a blow gun is useful. BUT I used to use it in liu of a dust collector-- and that's a really bad idea. All that dust becomes airborn, goes into your lungs, etc. etc. Get a dust collector (they start at under $150, even under $100 if you get a very small one) and then just use the blow gun for detail cleaning-- let the vacuum system get the majority of the stuff.
You'll thank yourself in a few decades...
-Tim
Agreed - I have a largeish DC, 2HP, 220V. http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1029Z I use the blow gun for detail dusting. It does make things airborne but it settles and I can sweep it up.

<DIV>I just want to be able to install trim/moulding, occasional 2x4 framing, fill up car/bike tires etc.<BR><BR>Prefer: quiet, portable (carry up/down stairs), reasonably priced, oiled.<BR><BR>I don't need to paint/grind etc. <BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>-Pat<BR><BR></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I think your concept of an oiled compressor is a mistake. Your not using this for production work.&nbsp; Wander through Sears. </FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

-Tim