Which of these 4 spots (2 on tire, 2 on wheel) are supposed to be lined up?

Page 2 of 7  
On 7/18/2013 1:01 PM, blue bmw wrote:

http://first-world-problems.com/
--
PV

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 19:01:19 +0000 (UTC), blue bmw

You have to define "match mounting." There are multiple definitions. You'll get what you're willing to pay for. For my cars simply getting each wheel individually balanced so there is no vibration at any speed I drive at, is all my car deserves. So I disagree with your second point above.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

himself the enormous amount of money he spent on a car that by his own admission suffers from serious quality problems is to make every possible effort to perpetuate the fantasy of its imagined superior performance -- like that makes any difference at all when he's stuck in traffic on his daily commute to work.
Q: What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:54:25 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

The only difference with bimmer wheels and normal car wheels is most cages have steel and most (all?) BMWs have (BBS) aluminum wheels.
Which means it's even more important to get it right.
Unfortunately, almost nobody here knows how to mount tires so they blindly trust the tire shops who don't give a chit.
Since nobody is watching the henhouse, they take you for the ride.
I doubt anyone on this ng knows how to mount tires properly, unless they've been trained as a tire professional. And, if they are, they'll tell you that 90% of all tires are put on incorrectly. That's a fact.
The proof is as simple as asking a tire shop the same question you are asking here. You'll get 20 different answers, none of them right.
BTW, you really need a beemer group, not a bimmer group since the beemer guys mount their own tires.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, this group is about HOME repair, not car repair or tires
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
ChairMan wrote:

mounting his tires at home is an excellent idea. Most shops don't respond well to being instructed as to how to perform their tasks, regardless of who is right.
GW
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:11:57 -1000, Geoff Welsh wrote:

Neither did this one! :)
Sloppiness, incompetence, and fraud all around. I filed a formal complaint to Tire Rack. I had to stop them halfway through, after 2.5 hours of my car on the lift, and now I have four unbalanced (but new) tires, and a bare spare rim with no valve stem.
It was miserable, by any 0. They committed fraud (by claiming a higher Tire Rack price) 1. They pried off the BBS BMW hubcaps with a screwdriver 2. They dropped 1/3 of the the lug bolts on the ground 3. The did not bother to match mount the red to the valve stem 4. They had to ask ME what the torque should be (when I told them to remove the wheels and re-torque them) 5. They had to deflate and then re-inflate the tires (when I told them they didn't even look at the tire placard in the door jamb) 6. They left the old wheel weights on the tire (until I told them to remove them) 7. And, worst of all, I think they damaged two of my wheels
It got so bad, that I told them three times that I wanted my car back, and only after the third time, did they stop. Then they wanted to charge me the full (fraudulent) price, and I insisted they only charge me for the work they did.
In the end, they charged me $8 to mount the four tires with four new stems, no balance, and, they didn't put back the spare tire on the wheel rim nor put the Schrader valve back into the spare tire stem.
And, then they hand me a pretty envelope, with the receipt, where it says "Trust the Midas touch."
Pictures later ... as I only had a crummy cell phone ... and it's hard to get the photos off of it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 20:39:22 +0000 (UTC), blue bmw

OMG, you went to Midas!!! Last time I was at a Midas I had a shouting match with the manager when he insisted he had to machine my brand new Discs in order to install the replacement "lifetime" pads that had worn out in about 20,000 miles. He refused to put the pads on and I refused to pay to have new rotors machined. My "free lifetime replacement" was going to cost about $60 and shave life off my brand new rotors. It's always good when the waiting room has a lot of customers in it when you are explaining to the manager what a bunch of crooks they are. He wanted me out and refunded the original cost of the pads. Last time I will EVER go to a Midas. That location went out of business a few years later.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:09:58 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Maybe it's my fault for assuming that putting tires on is a commodity. Clearly, this Midas, wasn't worth the cost.
The good news is that Tire Rack removed them from the recommended installer program, but it was just this one shop so that's not all that much of a positive result.
Tire Rack said it would be six months at least before they're allowed back on.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:11:57 -1000, Geoff Welsh wrote:

I wish I had the equipment!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, it's about home repairs. Try alt.anal.bmwOwners instead. They will have a good answer for you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 07/14/2013 11:33 PM, blue bmw wrote:

I'm not trying to be rude when I say this so please don't take it that way... but... sounds like you need a better shop.
Where are you located? I can recommend a couple shops local to me that don't suck.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 07/15/2013 08:22 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Forgot to add, you're completely neglecting that your tire shop also should have soft pads for their rim clamps, or use a tire machine that doesn't clamp the rim at all (because I ASSume that if you have a BMW that it has alloy wheels)
Nothing makes me stabbier than seeing those dimples in the rim from the rim clamps because the tire guy was too lazy to use the soft pads... but most used sets of alloys that I've bought have them... with corrosion spreading around the marks usually meaning they need to be refinished to look 100%
Again I have a short list of shops local to me that I will trust to mount/balance tires
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:22:10 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

This is true.
However, I've called Tire Rack, BBS, and even the rubber manufacturers association, and, these "tire professionals" don't even know the answer (at least not yet, offhand).
I sent them all the pictures, by email. So, we may get some progress, but not in time for my appointment today with the Tire Rack "recommended installers" who, supposedly, have met a professional standard for installation.
Unfortunately, it's my humble opinion that no tire installer installs tires properly.
I'm not saying tires are falling off cars left and right, but, for the aficionado, if you don't watch them and tell them what to do, they won't:
a) Mount the tire on the wheel properly b) Torque the lug bolts properly c) Pressurize the tires properly etc.
And these are very basic mistakes that a mere consumer should *not* have to worry about.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

A: The porcupine has the pricks on the *outside*.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 17:07:22 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

:)
Actually, I've found there are many types of bimmer owners.
There are the young kids, who don't even know the difference between a bimmer and a beemer who just want to tweak the looks (e.g., shadowline trim, hella angel eyes, staggered wheels, ultra low profile tires, CAI intake (even though you can't realistically improve upon it), etc.
Then, there are the old folks, who just want a nice safe well handling vehicle.
You have the sales people types, who want any "fancy" car to take their customers out in.
And, you have the enthusiasts, who put up with all kinds of quality issues because they appreciate the handling.
You have to admit, the power train and suspension (other than the known quality issues, e.g., leaking fluid filled thrust bearings and the like), are fantastic!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 07/15/2013 01:42 PM, blue bmw wrote:

yeah, if you ignore the delusional myopia* of the people that buy them and all the reliability issues, they're great,
* the propaganda displacing fact
--
fact check required

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 18:02:43 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Actually, they *do* handle well.
They're just built by Germans who don't care one bit about quality.
All they care about is performance.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 07/17/2013 05:51 AM, blue bmw wrote:

relative to a buick, but as a definitive statement, that's simply the delusional ravings of someone susceptible to marketing propaganda.

yeah, that's why their specific outputs are so low and they use macpherson strut. but you're not interested in facts, just the tag-lines of advertising agencies.
--
fact check required

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 07:42:19 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Clearly you've never driven one on the track.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.