Which lube for lamp sockets?

Page 1 of 2
I've got a hanging light fixture whose socket threads are getting skanky. The fixture will be replaced in 3 months or so, but today, I can't get a light bulb to thread back into the socket because it's a bit rough. Dialectric grease seems like the wrong thing to use. Help.

I have always said you can't even screw in a light bulb.

Apparently it's true! Removing the old one, the threads felt rough enough that I held a trash can under the fixture, and put on a glove because I was concerned about the bulb coming apart.
I might clean the socket with a wire tooth brush (preferably with the power off) and wipe the socket with a paper towel moistened with WD40.
Terry wrote:

Not so, Terry!
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/screwing.gif
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Christopher A. Young;
.
.

"JoeSpareBedroom" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
turn breaker OFF while messing around.
just in case the fixture is wired wrong you could get a nasty shock.
bet your using those flame bulbs, they tend to do thatr bad.
use regular bulbs its much less of a problem

No. Regular edison base bulb, but a large globe shape.
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 04:18:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

On new bulbs, I use anything greasy that is handy. In the kitchen, crisco or cooking oil or bacon or whatever is handiest.
But the secret is to spread it so thinly that it doesn't appear on the surface with the naked eye. Pick up a KFC chicken leg, sit it down and then touch the threads with your greasy finger and rub it in.
When away from the kitchen or too lazy to go to the kitchen, then use ear wax. Works great!. I've been using it for 40 years and never had a bulb that wouldn't unscrew smoothly.
Duff
Duff wrote:

Nose Oil, the stuff on the OUTside of your nose, works great too, just rub the bulb threads along the side of your nose.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I like the way you talk.
Duff

I don't know if that was supposed to be a joke, but I did that the other day; works well.

Nose oil is no joke. Will work for a lubercant for many things. Just not much of it is made at one time.
GWB wrote:

No it wasn't a joke. Nose oil (or grease) was probably being used long before petroleum based products became widely available.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_grease\\
Not mentioned in that article is using nose oil as a lip balm if a Chap Stick isn't at hand.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I had a customer who used Vaseline on her sockets once. I wound up having to replace the fixture for her because the sockets were burnt. I don't think petroleum based lubricants are a good idea. Try this stuff instead: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/03877/?sourceid FROO03877&cm_mmc=FROO-SH-_-Light%20Bulbs-_-Light%20Bulbs-_-03877
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 10:05:01 -0500, "John Grabowski"

They work fine IF you apply sparingly. Wipe it on and then wipe it all off with a tissue or hanky. It will leave an invisible coating that will NOT harden and burn.
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 10:05:01 -0500, "John Grabowski"

Why spend all that money when every man has what is needed right in his own body. The solution is to coat the threads with semen. Simply take a break, get relaxed, and masturbate into your hand. Rub the highly lubricating semen into the socket threads and screw in the bulb. It's never been so much fun doing a home repair !!!!!
Jack Cough
i thought of this thread today whilst i put just a dab of soldering paste on a bulb base. Worked great. (just happened to be what was sitting there)

I ended up using mayonnaise.

I always use WD-40 to keep my bulbs from "freezing" in the sockets of my ceiling and fan fixtures.