Which kind of siding?

Page 1 of 2
My wife and I just purchased our first home (well technically the close hasn't happened yet, but it's going through escrow).
The home inspector recommended that we replace the siding, so we are going to do that. Right now the siding is some sort of old composite that is falling apart. We are trying to decide what to put up.
Vinyl is very durable and doesn't need painting but most vinyl that I have seen is kind of ugly.
If we get cedar siding that is stained and sealed, how often will it have to be stained and sealed?
If we get a composite siding, how often will that have to be stained and sealed? And what is the best type of composite siding to get?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

Check again. It has improved quite a bit over the years and most is pretty good looking and NO painting. I just hose mine down once a year.

Depends on your climate. Every 2 to 6 years is typical. Looks nice, but depending on your age and interest in climbing and painting, think twice about it.

No experience so I can't help there.
To let everyone know, we live in Portland, Oregon so there is a lot of rain, but no snow.

maintenance. I recommend cement siding. I have Hardie Plank on my house and it looks nice. You can get it pre-painted, and the finish has a warranty. It eventually will need painting, but it won't go bad like the Masonite you had did.
Any idea how often hardie plank would need painting?

I think the warranty is 15 years on the color, and 50 years on the product.

Vinyl siding that looks like cedar:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen/deck/deck-bump.html
Painting and or staining is a drag. Go with a material that will last longer than you will.
Vinyl clad aluminum has looked good here for about 20 years but is beginning to fade. Would still recommend it based on my own satisfaction. Dark colors my wife and I preferred were only available in vinyl clad aluminum and could not be purchased in vinyl, so I was "forced" to go with aluminum if I wanted a dark chocolate brown color. Not sure if this is still true or not.
Smarty
writes:

That's the color I have, and vinyl siding wouldn't come with a warranty in that color, I hear. STill quite a few neigbhors bought it, and it doesn't seem to have faded, in vinyl.
The next n'hood over is a bit cheaper than ours, and the original vinyl goes to the grass, instead of having a brick first floor, and there seem to be several holes in the vinyl, I don't know why. Too cheap? Use of ladders?
I was told, when I called and asked Temna antennas, I think it was, that aluminum (and steel I'm sure) siding could interfere with radio reception. Seems reasonable.
Doesn't aluminum dent?

have friend with cedar siding, at 20 years home needs resided, birds pecked holes in siding looks bad, maintence costly.
metal aluminimum or steel will hurt radio tv and espically cell phone reception a lot. have friend who must go outside to use cell phone.
vinyl siding looks good lasts just about forever, requires no maintence at all. doesnt dent either.
composites might be ok but as you get older no maintence becomes more important.

I have cedar siding, 80 years old. Where I stripped and re-painted, it looks better than new. And I do mean better than anything I've seen on new houses.
Of course it does need periodic maintainence.
Bob

few people go to all the work of stripping and repainting plus 80 year old siding was old growth wood. grows slow extra strong and hard. much more stable.
new farm raised wodd is softer, bigger rings less strong rots easier and probably wouldnt make even 40 years let alone 80. its why wood twists bends and such today. its farm raised fast and not nearly as good.

Sometimes slower growth (cooler climate, naturally seeded) forested Canadian wood is deemed denser, slightly stronger, more stable and more desirable for that reason. Problem is that lumber lobbyists in US have succeeded in having protective tariffs placed on imported, lumber! That and the currently falling value of the US dollar isn't helping US house building costs!

That's a pretty touchy subject where I live, Minnesota. It is said that those tarriffs are necessary since the Canadian lumber industry is subsidized by default. No Canadian company has to pay health care premiums. All U.S. employers do. That is in effect, a subsidy for all Canadian products including lumber.

Is there a lesson in there somewhere?
Bob

There's no need to ask Bob. Americans deserve government guranteed health care just like Canada. Unfortunatly, that can never happen when so much is spent on the Military. So for now, it has to be tarrifs or our lumber industry will fail and children will go hungry. Just so you know.

I'd like to think we deserve better. Wait, I do have better and I don't depend on the government for it.
wrote in message

And 25% of american children have no health coverage. 50% of kids living in poverty. Not to mention the adults.. Sounds great.

What a crappy comment. Do you give a shit about anyone but yourself? Get a clue, lack of susidized health care is destroying American business. When every other decent country provides for their citizens, it creates a competitive disadavatage. Does that mattter to you?
I also have insurance but I don't need to gloat. I am grateful to have it and humbled by those who don't. I can only hope to keep up with the premiums.
No one but you cares whether or not you personally have insurance. Everyone cares if the American economy is being destroyed by a broken health care system. America is a nice place but the United States government treats it's citizens very poorly, unless you are a government employee that is. I bet you have a government job.

Its true it wont dent. it Breaks try firing a golf ball off of it