Which inexpensive top loader washer to buy?

Page 2 of 2

I have a Fisher Paykel drawer dishwasher and we love it but it has to be installed perfectly, which is almost impossible unless your arms are 10 feet long and 2 inches wide, to work properly and avoid back siphoning. Seems like they do a lot of things right but some major things wrong. I saw their washing machines and they looked wierd enuf that I would not buy one.
If it were me, I would go to Lowes or Home Depot and look for a new in box left over Maytag Neptune front loader for around $500. They were selling them here for awhile at that price. Our Neptune front loader had only 1 repair in 10 years despite the fact that Consumer Reports said it had a bad repair record. Early models had a mildew problem that Maytag fixed for free if you asked them nicely. Of course Maytag is now part of Whirlpool.

Yes, that's certainly a good, rational, reason to avoid them.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

In 2004 I bought an F&P washer based on Consumer Reports recommendation at the time. I've been extremely pleased with it -- it works well and gives no trouble. I'm surprised at the present Consumer Reports survey results.
The F&P was more expensive than most top loaders but cheaper than front loaders. At the time it was also eligible for a $125 Energy Saver rebate from the electric utility.
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:24:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

GE heavy duty
Used, about $35. Replace as needed. Look for a heavy duty machine, as mentioned in other posts, and you might get lucky and find a good one that will last for years.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

I've got one in my basement that works great that you can have for free, probably will need bearings at some point in the vague future tho...
(got a newer free one from a friend)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

The best ratio of price to performance will be found on the "Free" washers listed on Cragislist.