Which home insurance??

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:41:02 +0200, ChloeP

When I had a claim for damage by Hurricane Irene last year, Travelers obtained through GEICO raised my rates almost 100%. Looked around a tried MIDDLEOAK (formerly Middlesex Mutual) and rates have been good and customer service quite good. I've had no claims through yet so I can't tell what will happen. www.middleoak.com
Good luck.
who do you have your Auto Insurance with? and do you like them?
maybe they do Homeowners also... sometimes you can get a discount, with both
marc
On 10/11/2013 08:43 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

GEICO gave me excellent auto insurance rates .
Unfortunately they do not have home insurance.
As I mentioned before I had a rotten experience with State Farm. I found Travelers horrible too.
I finally went with American Family for my home insurance.
On 10/11/2013 6:41 AM, ChloeP wrote:

I'd get a company that covers your house if you start the kitchen on fire when cooking SPAM. I kind of smell it here.

yeah, smells loke spam to me, too posted from diybanter, too
replying to ChloeP , passerby wrote:

As far as enough time - all it takes is a phone call to your current ins. co. to tell them you are considering leaving. 5% is nothing compared to some of the increases I've seen in the past, some of them prompting me to leave, but most just prompting a call to an agent. Wasn't always able to lower the premium but at least in half the cases I was. I think the most common case is that your house is covered for a base that's higher than the current market value - courtesy of the 2007-2008 housing market crush. Never hurts to call and verify if the coverage makes sense given the current market value.
In a more general sense: 2013 was a pretty calm year in terms of insurance payouts: no Katrina or Sandy or anything of that scale. I wonder if insurance companies are more willing to negotiate lower rates this year (or just not raising the existing)?
On Friday, October 11, 2013 11:44:01 AM UTC-4, passerby wrote:

Do you really think one year after paying out billions over Sandy the insurance companies just forget about it? They have to recover that money over many years, somehow. And they know another one could come at any time.
On 10/12/2013 9:17 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

And, that was a wakeup that the actuarial models they were using weren't adequate to account for largescale common cause events -- they had largely gotten away from the idea to instead treating each insured as an independent event. Works for small or isolated events; when especially multiple large-scale events occur, "not so much". So, with this knowledge the rates will never go back to less-sound actuarially based models.

I'm not buying that. They're well aware of multiple-loss scenarios. Often companies will stop insuring new business in an area because the potential loss is too big. Perhaps they over-extended but they're well aware of the risk and take it into account constantly.
ChloeP wrote:

I have had good experience with State Farm and Travelers. Around here it is hard to switch because so many of the name companies won't insure coastal properties anymore. I tried switching to USAA but they wouldn't do it.
Frankly I don't think 5% is a great rate hike. If you insure your autos or anything else with them you might get enough of a discount to offset that.

I had a couple claims with state farm auto. Recently my 2001 cavalier I bought rebuilt in 2005 for $5k. Got totaled. They gave me $4800. I'm glad I detailed it just before the wreck.
My home owners insurance through some company of a house I'm redoing just got canceled. Among other things, they wanted occupancy. it's actually still in effect for another ,14 days. I'm learning.
Greg
On 10/11/2013 7:55 PM, gregz wrote:

Recently someone posted http://www.justice.org/docs/tenworstinsurancecompanies.pdf which is a list of the 10 worst insurance companies from a trial lawyer group.
Three of the companies advertize heavily on TV All State State Farm Farmers
I have State Farm and have not had problems, but have had very few claims.
On Friday, October 11, 2013 5:41:02 AM UTC-5, ChloeP wrote:

ant to look around. I haven't got much time though, next renewal is due in a month. Is that enough time? Saw an ad for these 'Get the :: BEST HOME INS URANCE DEALS :: for your house today!' (http://www.homeinsuroffers.com ) so thought I'd do it all online but would appreciate some recommendations. -- ChloeP
I wuld do my home with State Farm and take advantage of their multiple poli cies discount if you have State Farm for your auto. I have been very happy with State Farm auto, haven't had any claims on homeowners though. But it is so convenient to have just one company, you can get to know the local s taff folks so much easier when there is only one set of people to meet and greet.
On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:09:25 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

Generally - and I know it is a generalization - better to deal with a broker rather than an agent or direct insurer. They can shop the market if the rates from one company seem high. They work for YOU, not an insurance company, and they represent YOU to the insurance company when you have a claim.
It is our goal to provide you with the best resources for getting great home insurance. We pride ourselves in our ability to get the best quotes at the cheapest prices. We know that it is important to you that our services be fast, reliable, and accurate. Each and every day we strive to meet not only your high expectations, but also our own. Our systems are always kept in top-notch shape to provide you with great home insurance quotes. We always keep the customer in mind, and we will work tirelessly to get you the best home insurance that your budget allows. It is our sincere wish that you get the information you need from us, and that you leave our site with at least some piece of information that will lead you to a more secure and safe home insurance buying experience.

But since USENET is non commercial, SPAM postings are not welcome. Reputable companies pay for advertising, sleazy ones look for freebies.