Which glue?

I am going to build a compartment, much like a chest freezer that will incorporate a dorm fridge. The compartment will be made of styrofoam or the blue insulating panels, and be to maintain a fermenting temperature of 75 degrees inside for beer fermentation. I need to join some sheets of styrofoam or the blue insulated foam together.

Which glue would be best, and won't dissolve the insulation? Or maybe get some of the wide foil refrigeration tape?

Ideas?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

3M Spray Adhesive 6070
Reply to
DD_BobK

Epoxy, White glue, like Elmer's

3M spray 77 Water based contact cements

There are a few others too. Water based takes a very long time to dry though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

White or yellow glues work great on styrofoam, and yellow glues are usually fairly water resistant as well.

Spray glues will usually dissolve styrofoam because solvents are added to make glues and paints sprayable, but dissolving the styrofoam may not necessarily be bad when it comes to gluing it. Contact cement, except the water-based type, will dissolve styrofoam. Epoxy glue will not dissolve it. Blue foam is usually styrofoam, just not the bead type, and it insulates better and doesn't absorb water as much.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

There are construction adhesives made specifically for foam board. Anything with a solvent base will NOT work and will eat huge holes in the material. I would reinforce the joints with drilled and glued wood dowels or all thread. I would remove the thin plastic film from the face of the material where the glue joints occur if you buy the type of foam that has it.

Reply to
DanG

K. Lance

"K. Lance" wrote in news:ioc9vh$m0c$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Elmer's white glue or a good woodworking "yellow" glue,preferably a waterproof type.

3M styrofoam spray adhesive. seems expensive.

low-temp Hot glue.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Jim Yanik" wrote

OK for small stuff, but constructing panels it is not going to work well. The glue will harden too fat at the start before you get to the end. Regular hot glue will melt the foam and you get a recess where the glue bead was. Styrene foam starts to melt at 180 degrees.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Kuskokwim

See:

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Considering your heart is failing, you should not be drinking alcohol. So forget the whole project. Build some bird houses or lamps instead.

I do believe they sell a construction adhesive made particularly for foam. Go to a building supply or hardware store where they have knowledgable and educated adults working there, and tell them what you need. Forget Home Depot. You wont get any help from that fat 18 year old pimple faced kid with the cellphone glued to his ear, and the baseball cap worn backwards. He only knows how to play video games and text on his cellphone, and nothing more.

Reply to
jw