Which end of roof tv antenna toward station

Page 1 of 2
I bought a used rooftop tv antenna at a garage sale so there are no instructions. I know how to mount it and connect the coax, but I do not recall which end points toward the tv station transmitter.
I know the UHF elements are the smaller ones and the VHF are the larger ones. But which end goes toward the station? Here is a crude drawing (below).
\\\\\\\\\\\\ ->>>>>>>>>- //////
You'd think there would be a diagram on the web, but I sure can not find one. They should mark it right on the antenna but they dont. Jimw

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
1D10T wrote:

Get yourself a "low noise amplifier" for the mast of the antenna. It will really improve your reception. Radio Shack has some.

The longest elements are always the back side of the antenna.
Jimw wrote:

Hi, Basically, there are multi element on a boom. Shorter element side should point to the station. Short element is called director, longer one is called reflector. The more elements, the more gain.

The more elements it has the more 'pointy' or directional the antenna will be! In other words, using a multi element antenna, if the antenna is pointed directly at one station, another station, off say 30 degrees to one side in direction, may not be received at all If signals are weak an antenna with more elements generally has more 'gain' (From the ONE desired direction!).
Jimw wrote:

Forget theory. Which direction gets the best reception?

in the illustration provided by the OP, the station should be to the left of the antenna.

Definitely also true.
But you may get someone who has no technical background putting up an antenna which does not work for the several stations (in different directions from their particular location) that they wish to receive.
And then gets into a song and dance about how it is the same antenna that works OK for his brother in law (who lives in a different location of course!).
OR "The salesman 'said' this was the best one for this area ................." and so on ....... ! All without reference to any understanding about basic technical facts.
Also there will always be the people who achieve perfectly satisfactory TV reception with a broken off coat hanger jammed in top of the set in place of the uni-pole antenna that broke off ten years off when they were moving house. Provided that is the cat does not perch on top of the sofa; just 'there'.
"Hon: Shoo the cat off the sofa will you? I want to watch this guy pitch .....! "
We ran into a situation once, long before the advent of cable TV here, whereby the owner used to pour hot water over his antenna connections to wash off the sea salt spray. It worked!
Another guy in same community got best signal if he pointed his antenna off line, it is still my opinion that by doing so with his particular antenna he was avoiding a strong second signal (in favour of the direct signal) reflected from the metal cladding of the local fish processing plant!
Ah yes; but reflected FM and TV signals was how the British discovered radar before WWII! Ever notice how a TV picture sometimes goes 'all- wavery' if/when a plane flies over?
As previous posters have said indicated it IS a combination of technology and local conditions. But starting with 'pointy' end towards the TV station is best way to start.
"HeyBub" wrote

LOL! Ya beat me to it! Until I saw folks taking this seriously I was kinda thinking it was a joke post. Must be a 'man thing' there ;-)
Real method, put up antenna but don't bolt tight yet. Turn antenna bit bit by bit until the best location is determined. Tighten bolts so it stays there.

Yes and a cheap set of walkie talkies works best to determine where the best reception is. Partner watches TV while other one turns mast.
Harry K
"harry k" wrote

I've actually done that! Charlottesville VA, 105 Deerwood Drive.
Most of the times though we just opened a window and hollard out it.

walkie talkies?
With all the cell phones these days...
And most landline cordlesses come with multiple phones.
Walkies don't use up your cell minutes.
Living in a trailer, my TV is right next to the antenna mast. I turn the TV around so it faces the window. then I can rotate the antenna and watch the screen at the same time.
If I wasn't Mormon, I could also drink a beer, fart, smoke a cigarette, and pee on the skirting at the same time. Redneck heaven!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You poor bastard. You should gets a chek for dat. Ask anyone around where I am.
Do I qualify for MediFart?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
cshenk wrote:

Hi, Yeah! And add to it, height matters too. The higher the better is not really the case. You gotta hit the sweet spot height wise.

Huh? Height gain is real and exist for all frequencies. The only time excess height will work against you is when your feed line losses outweigh you height gain. You'll have to go very high for this to happen on TV frequencies. There is no sweet spot unless you are somehow physically obstructed.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Hmm, From the days when I was active in telecommunications engineering, I was trying to capture long distance TV relay signal, guess what? I could only get a decent stable signal at certain height on the tower. Lower or higher the signal disappeared. Had numerous instances like this on VHF, UHF, troposcatter, microwave repeater installations. Retired in '96 after spending my whole life in the field and been a ham since my boyhood as well. Class of '60, EE. VE6CGX

Then you must be misinterpreting what is going on. Height is never detrimental to an antenna unless line losses come into play.