Which end of a 2x4 is the top?

No. It looks like a tree with a large trunk on the bottom, and a lot of branches sticking up into the air.

Here's what it looks like in leaf:

Doesn't make it so.

*He* needs to do more research? Or *you* need to?
Reply to
Doug Miller

3F 3F 3F 3F 3F 3F 3F 2E 2E 2E 2E 2E 3F 3F 3F 3F 3F
Reply to
Sam E

Bullshit does have a bottom. I can see the difference every time I walk around the pasture.

Reply to
hah

Well, the idiots on the site have the image upside down...

Andrew

He needs to. There is a LOT to know about Baobob trees. I guess maybe you could use a little horizon expansion as well. :')

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

a bit more.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

And just in case you didn't know why books are made that way.....

It's so when a book is lying on a table with its front cover up you can read that printing running down the spine without having to stand on your head.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The big end is the top. HTH :-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

You just have to remember how you pulled them from the rack.

-- Oren

Oren

Trust me, the last thing I need to research is a tree in Africa. I am constantly expanding my horizons in much more fruitful ways.

Look, it's just a tree with a large trunk and skinny branches. It does not grow upside down no matter legend says.

Hey wait, maybe you're right. I th> >

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They take up so much more space than the others.

Reply to
mm

You're making the rash assumption that these are "vertical" 2x4s, when in fact they could be horizontals, which are only good for top and bottom plates.

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

I can work with octagonal, more difficult than any so far.......even more difficult to find.

-- Oren

Oren

Exactly, the end of the 2x4 that was closest to the tree roots would be the bottom.

Then again, horizontal 2x4s such as the top and bottom plates, should be labeled "horizontal use only".

Reply to
maradcliff

Half way down this page are trees potted upside down... some knucklehead calls it art.

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

But it _is_ upside down. It is south of the equator after all.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

But he raises an interesting point. Since half of a tree (roughly) is underground, when foresters harvest trees to make lumber, are they not leaving half the wood behind? Isn't this a significant waste of resources?

I could envision a whole new industry: 2x4s made from tree roots would come already bent and twisted - no need for all that labor to do it by hand.

The mind reels at the possibilities.

Reply to
HeyBub

It's "down" that's upside-down.

"down" is the local direction that things move in when unsupported.

BTW, now I may hear about the nonexistent X-axis reversal with a mirror.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

They're into recycling. The other half of the tree eventually becomes part of new trees.

If HD sells those, do any become unwarped in storage?

(considering the non-zero probability of fixing a malfunctioning TV set by throwing it on a concrete floor)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

the answer is simple whichever side is facing up is the top at HD the tops are the huge warps that are at their highest point.

Reply to
Rick