Which end of a 2x4 is the top?

Page 2 of 4

DerbyDad03 wrote:

But it _is_ upside down. It is south of the equator after all.
Harry K

It's "down" that's upside-down.
"down" is the local direction that things move in when unsupported.

BTW, now I may hear about the nonexistent X-axis reversal with a mirror.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Nonexistent? You don't see your left hand where the right should be in a mirror?
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

It's not an x-axis reversal, rather a z-axis (front to back) reversal.
--
Keith

krw wrote: - It's not an x-axis reversal, rather a z-axis (front to back) reversal.
Wait - I'm confused. If I have my back to the mirror how could I see my front?
krw wrote:

Actually, when you have your front to the mirror you see your front - as if from the back. Confused yet? This is one of those things that are a lot simpler than anyone's explanation of it.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
snipped-for-privacy@eznet.net says...

Certainly the mirror can'd "see" your backside, but it *is* reversing what it can, front to back. Ever looked in a corner mirror?
BTW, I wouldn't expect top-posters to "get it".
<snip>
--
Keith

Keith rather haughtily wrote:
- BTW, I wouldn't expect top-posters to "get it". - Keith
What's might be the funniest thing about this entire thread is those of you that responded to my "confusion" as if you thought it was a serious post.
BTW, Which end of a poster is the top?
krw wrote:

It's the end you can't pee on because it's mounted too high :-)

But NOT left to right. THAT reversal is only verbal, in the user's mind.

I suppose you mean one of those that's diagonally mounted in a corner, and so wastes a lot of space. Are you looking in it straight, or at some angle?

Posting location has NOTHING to do with intelligence, or any other relevant quality.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I think s/he means a mirror which is bent around a corner, or two mirrors who's faces are 90 deg and facing each other.

;)
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

Yep. It's a z-axis transformation. What the mind does with the information is another thing.

No, two mirrors 90 degrees to each other (see also: "corner reflector"). Look at them at 45 degrees.

Intelligent people, at least in the West, read from top to bottom. Conversations between intelligent people go forward in time. Answers come after questions, etc.
--
Keith

True. but irrelevant.

True, but irrelevant.

True, but irrelevant.
Don't ignore the difference between a usenet POST and a usenet THREAD. That is important. When reading a post in a thread, the reader has ALREDAY been exposed to the quoted material, the response (at whatever location in that post) is read AFTER that other stuff.
Things (claiming to demonstrate the error of top-posting) like this:
13. What is 1 greater than 12?
ignore the actual sequence these lines are posted in. For that, you have at least TWO messages. The first:
What is 1 greater than 12?
And the second:
13

The lines are seen in the intended order (question first). The position of "13" in the later post DOESN'T CHANGE THE ORDER because you have ALREADY been exposed to the question.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

Not at all. Intelligent people write for their reader. top posting helps the reader not.

Nope. See above.

Nope. See above.

I'll confuse what I want to, but I'm confusing nothing. Apparently you agree with me, since you post infix, as do intelligent people.

Nope. I read thousands of posts a day. A context hint is invaluable, as it is in all delayed conversations. Remember, this isn't a private conversation.

What, is your first name Alex?
<snip absolute nonsense>
--
Keith

[snip]

It definitely DOES help, particularly with very large amounts of quoted material (if you think it's really easy to scroll down, you probably forgot about the HUNDREDS of new messages in some groups, try that "easy" scrolling when your fingers are sore from doing it hundreds of times).

What do you think a "usenet thread" is?

Notice that you totally ignored the major point of my post. That's what happens when people follow rules religiously (that is, mindlessly).
You might notice that I seldom top-post. This is the effect of my doing what makes sense to me, not mindless rule-following and ignoring other views.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

Wy don't you snip posts then? Why do you post infix, if top- posting is so kewl? ...or are you simply looking for an argument, as usual?
<snip useless argumentative crap>
--
Keith

Irrelevant. I wasn't the one doing the bottom-posting after excessive quoting.

More of that @#$%! argument. What I'm against is irrational BS against ANY position. This has nothing to do with my position (which was arrived at intelligently, not through BS).

I never do what you (mistakenly) call an argument. Apparently that's what you want. you're not getting it here.

You snip meaningful stuff that doesn't fit your delusions.
Time to end this subthread.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Not necessarily true. Usenet does not guarantee delivery of postings so a reader may be coming into the middle of a thread. Also, people don't always continuously subscribe to newsgroups so they may have missed earlier postings. You may have read all the postings in a thread but that doesn't mean everyone else has.
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:33:59 PST, snipped-for-privacy@mojaveg.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com (Everett M. Greene) wrote:
The occasional droid who's jumping in in the middle of the thread, or who can't keep track of a conversation from one minute to the next, is perfectly welcome to scroll down and look for context.
No reason why everyone else should have to read along with him.

Right. The first time I heard this mentioned, was while waiting for a college electronics class to start. Before class, one of them was asking "Why is it that when you look into a mirror, you appear reversed left to right but not up and down?".
I seem to have solved that problem earlier, when learning to drive. Someone was telling me about looking in the rear view mirror and seeing a turn signal on a car behind. I realized that it was "left" and "right" (not the directions themselves) that were reversed. It was a lot easier to ignore the "left/right" and just notice the direction the car was signaling.