Which end of a 2x4 is the top?

Page 1 of 4

I just bought a bunch of 2x4s to build a partition wall in the basement around our washer and dryer. I was ready to start building the wall when I realized that Home Depot forgot to label the 2x4s so I know which end is the top and which is the bottom. It figures Home Depot would forget to put the "top" arrow on them. I thought I'd save a few bucks going to Home Depot, but next time I'll go to a real lumber store.
Jerry
snipped-for-privacy@mailstation.com wrote:

Take each 2x4 and stand it on end. The end on the floor is the bottom. The HD people should have given you a copy of the instruction sheet that is supposed to be handed out. BTW, if you need to shorten them, only the bottom end should be cut off. Also are you sure you got "vertical" 2x4s, the horizontals are different !

LOL... nicely done Reed.
I knew someone would find the right way to respond.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
A couple of roofers are up on a side of a roof nailing on shingles.
As one is working, he pulls a nail out of the bag, looks at it, and hammers it in. Then he pulls another nail from the bag, looks at it, and throws it away. He looks at the next one and hammers it in.
After a few minutes of this, the other roofer asks, "Why are you throwing out all those nails?"
He replies, "They put the head on the wrong end!"
"You idiot, those are for the other side of the roof!"
--
That was one of my grandfather\'s favorite jokes.

-rev

Reed wrote:

If you're still not sure, hold the 2x4 horizontally with one hand at what you think is the middle (you may want to hold a nail gun in the other hand). Whichever end hits the floor first is the bottom.

Some of those are mislabeled, and are actually "diagonal" 2x4s. These are more likely to be warped since many Home Depot employees don't know how to store diagonal 2x4s properly.

They take up so much more space than the others.
snipped-for-privacy@mailstation.com wrote:

???????.....?????

3F 3F 3F 3F 3F 3F 3F 2E 2E 2E 2E 2E 3F 3F 3F 3F 3F
Homey Despot puts a upc sticker on the bottom of every damn thing it sells, that's the bottom. snipped-for-privacy@mailstation.com wrote:

I didn't know there was a difference? Is it because of the grain or soemthing?
No, it's called trolling. You missed it.
--
Steve Barker

Nah, there isn't a difference. The original post was a bullshit troll.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
doh. I thought it had something to do with the grain of the wood, or the bark side or soemthing. show's how much I know about wood, I was starting to feel kinda bad after helping a buddy with his basement and building a few non-load walls myself, thought I had royally screwed up.
thx
Todd H. wrote:

That's what you say.
Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?

Yes! The African Baobob Tree
http://www.botany.org/plantimages/ImageData.asp?IDN -050h
CWM
Charlie Morgan wrote:
-- Ever seen a tree growing upside-down?
- Yes! The African Baobob Tree - http://www.botany.org/plantimages/ImageData.asp?IDN -050h
OK, so I go to this site and I see a tree with a large trunk on the bottom and a lot of branches sticking up in the air. How is this "upside down"?

Doesn't it look like a tree with the root structure reaching skyward? The folks in Africa seem to think so. I guess you need to do a little more research on the Baobob tree. It's really quite fascinating.
CWM

No. It looks like a tree with a large trunk on the bottom, and a lot of branches sticking up into the air.
Here's what it looks like in leaf:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Baobabtre_b3599.jpg

Doesn't make it so.

*He* needs to do more research? Or *you* need to?
--
Regards,
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:18:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

He needs to. There is a LOT to know about Baobob trees. I guess maybe you could use a little horizon expansion as well. :')
CWM
Trust me, the last thing I need to research is a tree in Africa. I am constantly expanding my horizons in much more fruitful ways.
Look, it's just a tree with a large trunk and skinny branches. It does not grow upside down no matter legend says.
Hey wait, maybe you're right. I think I'll research how many 2 x 4's I can get out that large trunk. Anybody got a really big chainsaw?