Which emergency generator?

Page 1 of 3
What is a good generator to use in the event of a power outage?
Lowe's has Troy-Bilt, and Menards has Coleman (much cheaper), but I have never heard either of these running. I have heard small Hondas running, and they are very quiet.
Assuming that I could choose from any of these makes (or others of which I may never have heard), which would be most reliable, best value for money, quietest, . . .? What criteria should I use to make my decision?
MB

This is Turtle.
90% of Generator problems come from the engine in applications where they are stored up and not used much. Most all ''''' Generator ''''' and not the engine are about even in quality, but there is always some exception to everything. Now the Engines are all not created equal. I think and my thoughts here on engines. Kohler or Honda . These are the two I would try to get a generator with the engine made by them. Yes I bought a Briggs & Stratton on mine but I was in a hurry for a week of power outages and Low's was the only place with them left in stock. Never have to buy in a hurry if you can help it.
TURTLE

First, I'd consider what you intend to power with it, how you're going to hook it up, where it's going to be located, what you're going to fuel it with, where you're going to store the fuel, and how long you want to run it for.
IF you have natural gas available, the best solution is one powered by that fuel intended as a fixed backup unit. They cost several thousand dollars, but fix most of the problems like having sufficient fresh fuel on hand, running it occasionally to keep it operational, etc.
TURTLE wrote:

I did a lot of research\compared models etc. knew what a wanted (Honda) but at the price decided to wait. Well had a power outage and power co. gave a restore date in 6 days Since the pole to our house was also gone I figured even longer. Lowes was the only ones to still have stock. When we got there they were just bringing the last skid out from back to see a whole skid go in minutes helped to make up my mind to grab one of the few left . Yes I bought a Briggs & Stratton and no over and under voltage its well in range Spud

This is Turtle.
Where do you live at. You can come get this one here 6KW -- 12 H.P.
TURTLE
Minnie Bannister wrote:

IMHO, the best is a PTO driven generator you can hook up to a small tractor. You will actually start the tractor occasionally, so you know it will run when you need it. Plus you can justify buying a tractor that way. :-) The only downside is you'll need a manual transfer switch rather than automatic, so keep some flashlights handy.
Bob
Troy built & coleman HD series , not the best not Quality. Look at the price, they are cheap
The best is a tractor if your a hilbilly farmer, and take 2 people to hook up a PTO
Get a built in auto matic 1800 Rpm Propane NG or Diesel
You want voltage regulation, and a transfer panel. unregulated can swing on a 5000 w unit 40V regulated 10V Honda Inverter 1V , the best. From top to bottom If you can afford it get a 1800 rpm dlesel auto start, 1800 rpm NG auto star 3600 rpm auto start N.G. 3600 rpm honda inverter 3600 Honda 3600 with kohlor 3600 with pressurised oil Generac B &S etc 3600 rpm unpressurised oil 3600 rpm Techumpsee
From 8000$ to 300$ you have alot to choose from ,
And these units will last from 50000 ++Hours to maybe 300 Hours from top to bottom
'Techumpsee'
ME: No no no...its: Techumseh ! You dont live in the backwoods do u Mr. R ??!!
Have you hugged your A/C Tech today ?
It doesnt matter where I live I dont bullshit people every minute of the day , you are a lian Hack that doesnt back up BS claims and knows less about HVAC then alot of home owners. Answer your statement with proof , V.S. DC wont give a payback.
You cant because as everyone knows you are full of shit.
Did you get a lisence to play HVAC boi yet.

This is Turtle.
Dave has a problem understanding the type systems he is claiming to know about and the word Techumseh spell a little different just throwed him off. If everything is not just like it has been written on the newsgroups or discussions going on. He just will not be able to understand it. You can mess with a Trolls head by change something just a little.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

Since we're on the topic of spelling, take a peek at how it's really spelled:
http://www.tecumseh.com/homepage.htm
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf

This is Turtle.
I can't spell it and is easily lead stray by anybody spelling it before me. I wish they would get a real name like Copland or Bristol. I'm in the HVAC and Refrigeration business and see a lot of them but that name does not stick in my mine as being a normal name. The trade mark for them is TP and that is how I spell them. Copland [ Copl ] / Bristol [ Br ] / Tecumsomething [ TP ] is how I write them down. I guess i'm going to have to learn how to spell it if I'm going to stay in this business.
TURTLE
I dont like tekumpsees they are the worst motor made so I have no respect for spelling techhumpseeee correctly. They have crap main bearings , a weak oiling system and their regular line may only go 200- 300 hrs.
That Tesuckss - see !
TURTLE wrote:

Signs of a misspent youth... <G>
Anyway, Tecumseh was an old Shawnee Indian chief. Talk to his mama if you don't like his name.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.barf

This is Turtle.
It maybe for I went in the HVAC / R business in my father business when I was 6 year old and even before I enter the first grade. I went to school and when i got out I went to work in the evening and all summer. I'm 54 years old and still doing it but did finish school.
TP is really not very good equipment but I do concider them at the bottom of the barrel for quality. Copl the best , Then Br , Then last TP.
TURTLE
Check out an Onan for the best.

This is Turtle.
You got a link for it for my search engine give me 700,000 of them and most names and people.
TURTLE
Assuming you'll use it only a few hours a year, most of the replies so far are bunk. You don't need a Mercedes to get to the 7-11 once a year. Determine what circuits are MUSTs in a power outage (refrigerator, for example). Find out the # of watts from the plates on each appliance/light etc on the circuit. Total it up and you have an idea of how big (capacity) a generator you need. (Ask for a worksheet at Lowes, Home Depot or Menards). Then and only then are you ready to pick a generator...by capacity first, budget 2nd, and worry about the engine maker last. BTW you can convert any generator to propane/nat. gas for $100-$150....not thousands...and it's a very good idea if you have it available. 5 gal. of gasoline won't run a generator as long as you might think. If money and value are of no concern, by all means buy the biggest Honda powered generator you can afford.