Which dishwasher brand to buy?

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to replace my 12 year old Amana dishwasher, and want to get a really flexible unit that lets you take out the top rack (for really tall items), has a SS tub, waste grinder, and is really quiet.
I've looked at many dishwashers online, but I can't really tell which is best from the marketing language.
Any recommendations based on personal experience, regardless of price?
Abe, 10/29/2005,6:36:41 PM, wrote:

We bought a Whirlpool Quiet Partner II that was dinged up for a great price from Lowe's. I am very impressed with its features and quietness. You can hear it, but compared to our 15 year old Whirlpool it is nearly silent.
--
"Talking to a golf ball won\'t do you any good. Unless you do it while
your opponent is teeing off." -- Bruce Lansky

Not trying to "one up" you, but i bought the Quiet Partner III last year and that sucker IS quiet. The only time you hear it is if someone puts a plate (or glass, bowl, etc.) in crooked where it's banging against another. Even THEN you can barely hear it.....

So, how do you guys like the build quality, and flexibility?
Abe, 10/29/2005,7:42:56 PM, wrote:

On mine there are no knobs or buttons -- just momentary microswitches below a raised legend. I installed it myself so it can be done by nearly anybody. I don't think you can go wrong with that brand anyway.
--
"The least thing upset him on the links. He missed short putts because
of the uproar of butterflies in the adjoining meadows." -- P.G.

Would you guys be kind enough to look and see if the top rack is easily removable on your unit without having bend or break anything?
I ask because I have a Honeywell electronic air cleaner for my house, and I clean the filter units in the dishwasher (it's too much trouble in the tub or with the hose).
Abe wrote:

my bosch yes. on rollers lift up easy.
Abe, 10/29/2005,8:10:29 PM, wrote:

It looks like there are two clips that have to be pulled out and then the rack should slide out of the rails. I didn't want to do it to mine since the rack is full of dishes right now. Try it out at the dealer.
--
"They call it golf because all of the other four-letter words were
taken." -- Raymond Floyd

OK, thanks for checking.
Abe wrote:

Never tried taking the top rack out, but our Kitchen Aid Superba is great. We got it last summer after the 20 year old KA was starting to die. It has more clearance on the bottom than our old one did so it will take taller items easier. Extremely quit, cleans very well. I'd buy another tomorrow.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Ed, would you see if the top rack is easily removable on your unit without having bend or break anything?
I ask because I have a Honeywell electronic air cleaner for my house, and I clean the filter units in the dishwasher (it's too much trouble in the tub or with the hose).
Abe wrote:

You have 14 1/4" with the rack in place. It comes out in a few seconds. Push a button on the end of the slides and the stops come out, then just slide the rack out.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Thanks for checking Ed. I'm going to look at these two:
http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=DISHWASHERS&categoryId '8&productId4
and
http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=DISHWASHERS&categoryId '8&productId9
Abe wrote:

http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=DISHWASHERS&categoryId '8&productId4
http://kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=DISHWASHERS&categoryId '8&productId9
I noticed on the second model they mention a removable top rack. Better check it out on the other to be sure that one is.
In another post you mention Bosch. I don't think it has the food grinder you want.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

You're quite right about the food grinder. Not sure how I missed that. Also, about the removable rack, I'll have to look for myself.
They Bosch does have one feature I like alot, where you snap out the top spray arm and replace it with a sprayer as shown here. I'll have to see how sturdy it looks.
http://67.151.195.18/bosch_home_appliances//images/extratallitemsprinkler_pg111.jpg
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

mine does not, have a grinder. just a screen.

<In my best Homer Simpson voice>
"Mmmmmmmmmm.......grinder......"
http://www.backofthebox.com/recipes/sandwiches/grinder-sandwich-g.html
wrote (with possible editing):

Ed,
    Not disputing you, but I felt I should tell the "other side". Definitely no flame here - I respect you too much.
    I replaced my 20 year old Ktchen Aid dishwasher with a new top-of-the-line Kitchen Aid about 6 years ago. 2 years ago, it failed - it would overheat and melt things that aren't supposed to melt and the cycle was taking several hours. I called a serviceman, he couldn't fix, so I called a second one. He showed up once, then never came back. I called Kitchen Aid which is now part of another company (Whirlpool?). My guess was that there is a thermostat in there somewhere which needs to be replaced and, frankly, I could do it myself easily. Kitchen Aid WOULD NOT HELP. They referred me to the first and second repair folks. The first guy walked away with the manual. I got fed up and asked (nicely) if I could buy a service manual. They wouldn't do that, either.
    I finally got fed up and bought a new Bosch. Talk about quiet! You have to look at the indicators to know that it's running. It's been fine for the last 2 years. Wasn't cheap, though.
    Now both stories (yours and mine) are subjective enough that they don't prove anything, but the attitude of Kitchen Aid towards its consumers really stinks, in my judgment. I wouldn't buy anything from them anymore.
Best,
--
Larry
snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com

Mine is now 4 years old and flawless. VERY quiet. I 'd do it again too.
Using Consumer Reports I chose a Whirlpool Gold. It was the best cost/perfomance/repair history tradeoff in my opinion. The other good deal was Sears Kenmore.
jim