Which dehumidifier?

I have a very damp basement. My sump pump goues off every three minutes, 24x7. When my old dehumidifier broke, my wife insisted on getting a Humidex, which is basically a $1000 exhaust fan. Now my basement smwlls really bad (we will see if the Humidex folk honor their money-back guarantee). The basement area is about 900 square feet.
Shouyld I get a $250 Kenmore or one of these $1000 fancy jobs?
<< Should I get a $250 Kenmore or one of these $1000 fancy jobs? >>
Get a decent sized Whirlpool. It's a whole lot cheaper than a Kenmore which has a lot of bells and whistles you really don't need. Check any box store, Costco, Ace Hardware, etc. Meanwhile pay attention to getting the water source away from the house, gutters, downspots, grading. You need the dehumidifier, of course, but you need water control a lot more than you realize. Good luck.
Joe
I hooked up a drain hose to mine and run it directly to the floor drain. That way I don't have to empty the container 2 or more times a day. If you have that much moisture you'll have to empty it several times a day too. I got mine from Sears on sale. I got the top of the line model. With my 10% off coupon and credit slips I got a heck of a deal. Their warranty is pretty good too. I believe they also carry Whirlpool, and Whirlpool makes Kenmore.

which has

Costco,
need
(Joe Bobst) wrote:

Yep, I'll second that -- have had Whirlpool dehumidifiers for three or four years now, and I'm really happy with them. Plus, they're made in the USA. Last I checked, the Kenmore dh's were made in Communist China.

Second that too.
I dissagree with all, Kemore is quiter and more efficient than others and is top rated by consumer reports. It is also the only Dehumidifier that can run to Apx 45F. Dehumidfiers start freezing up at 67f but not the new large Kenmore. It will dehumidify your size fine , My 65 pt Sears Kenmore is a bit large for my 600 sq ft basement but it is a tight dry basement. You dont need a 1000$ unit. And can hook the drain to a sump or floor drain.
I have the big Kenmore too. Quiet and works well.

Ken Abbott wrote:

I have to agree with the others. While my Whirlpool has had three recalls, the third one finally got it right, none of them cost me anything. Get one that is designed for cool locations (basement), a large capacity and hook up the hose for a drain.
Also take a walk around your home. Are the downspouts drained well away from the foundation? Does the ground around your foundation slope away on every side at least 15-20 feet? If not correct these problems.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
| I have a very damp basement. My sump pump goues off every three | minutes, 24x7. When my old dehumidifier broke, my wife insisted on | getting a Humidex, which is basically a $1000 exhaust fan. Now my | basement smwlls really bad (we will see if the Humidex folk honor | their money-back guarantee). The basement area is about 900 square | feet. | | Shouyld I get a $250 Kenmore or one of these $1000 fancy jobs?
I bought an AirTemp dehumidifier for our 1250 SF. basement for $175, hooked the drain up to a floor drain and have forgotten about it for the last 15 years. Don't know who makes (made?) them or what consumer reports has to say about them but I'd buy another in a heartbeat when this one dies.