which deep cell battery for generator?

am trying to find a replacement (read: cheap) for a generator battery.
it's a sealed deep cycle type and about the size of a motorcycle battery.
will any kind do and would any marine non-gel battery work as long as the dimension (inside gen coverpanel) are a fit ?
are there some do's and dont's in buying these types of batteries?
jack wrote:

Hmmm, What is the spec. of battery? Deep cycle battery is not for starting the engine.

the sidepanel reads 5.5a but no other markings that I understand since it's katakana or kanji
people who saw the battery say uniformly that it is a standard gen/motorcycle battery
local autozone has same dimension battery where I have to insert into the holes an acid pack, which then fills the cells and after charging, they say, it will work fine for the generator
original part costs over $200 with sales tax, replacement motorcycle battery costs $69
jack wrote:

Do you have a Battery Plus store near you? http://www.batteriesplus.com/ If so just go there and get replacement. Does it say Deep Cycle on it. I find it odd that it would be a deep cycle for a generator. I replaced my mothers years ago and it was the same size as the one I use on my rider mower. It is not one of those real small ones that you fill yourself. Next size up.
Chris

it does not say that, thus I presumed it to be a generic motorcycle battery but the ones available at autozone/pep boys are the "fill it yourself with acid" type batteries for about $69
just wanted to be sure there was not something in the electronics of the generator requiring a specific type as this generator has an LCD panel with a readout of the battery life remaining.

Deep cycle batteries are used in applications where you need to take the battery from fully charged to minimal charge repeatidly. An example would be batteries in a boat, being used to power lights, fridge, etc, while anchored. The typical motorcycle or gen battery is a starting type battery, designed to give max amps for short durations and not to be fully discharged each time.
What is the function of the battery? Does it spin a starter, or what?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
...am trying to find a replacement (read: cheap) for a ...generator battery.
...it's a sealed deep cycle type and about the size of a ...motorcycle battery.
...will any kind do and would any marine non-gel battery work ...as long as the dimension ...(inside gen coverpanel) are a fit ?
I doubt you will find any "marine non-gel" SLAs the size of a motorcycle battery.Nobody runs a marine L-A battery that small. Yours is probably a 20 AH glassmat SLA gel cell.
...are there some do's and dont's in buying these types of ...batteries?
Isn't there a manufacturer and part number on the original battery? Or you take the old battery with you to the store so a clerk can cross- reference it to what they carry.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Maybe you need to get your shit together and figure out who top post you asshole. It was not me
Chris

it's the one who calls themself Stormin Mormon. I apologize if that's not you.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik