Which concrete sealant and/or stain should be used on a basement floor?

Which concrete sealant and/or stain should be used on a basement floor?

There are a number of products advertised for basement floors. I don't have any water problems.

2 part EPOXYCoatings

concrete stain

spray/roll on contrete sealers

I have yet to figure out what is best.

Reply to
ga

they are all different products that will give you a different look. you have to decide which looks better to you, and apply that.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

That depends on what you are going to do with the basement floor when it's done. The epoxy coatings are very tough and durable, they are typically used on applications like garage floors, because they stand up to oil, gas, tire traffic, etc. the best. And they are the most expensive product.

Concrete stains vary from products that actually react with the concrete to ones that are more like paint, ie similar to solid stains used on exterior siding. They are suited to moderate wear applications.

Concrete sealers are generally clear coats designed to seal the surface and protect it from weather, keep dust down, allow water to run off, etc.

And to add to your choices, you can also use a floor/deck paint, which is what I used on mine. I wanted color and the basement is only used for storage. For that type of application, either paint or the stain are easier, cheaper, and work fine.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

What about these sealers that supposedly keep radon out? Is that for real?

Bob

Reply to
rck

sealers sound wonderful in that they can block water and humidity from coming up from below the house. But, I'd like to have a better look than just a clear coat over concrete.

Reply to
ga

I eventually want to finish the basement, but that is probably a couple years away. So, I want a coating that looks nice, makes the area more livable now, and will reduce humidity entering the house from below.

Reply to
ga

from my investiagations, all sealers, paints, and such can fill small cracks and pores in the cement that allow radon to escape. thus, sealing your basement with any concrete sealer should reduce radon levels. I looked into some of the radon sealers and they are so expensive. I have yet to see a major organization endorse any of them. As far as I can tell, they are simply overpriced concrete sealers.

Reply to
ga

Can you put a sealer down and then paint over it?

a local home depot sells a sealer by jasco. anyone ever used it?

Reply to
ga

Sealing a surface before painting is not necessary. Paint will seal the surface. A sealer is used in place of painting, and the paint manufacturers will not recommend any paint to be put over a sealer.

Some concrete sealers protect from the surface down, not the ground up so you need to get the right sealer. UGL makes a product (Concrete Protector or Masonry Treatment) that does this and you can paint over it with a latex paint if you like. Plastic sheeting can be used on a basement floor as a moisture barrier if you plan on installing a vinyl or wood floor.

Reply to
barthawk

basement floor?

floors. I don't have

My local Sam's Club is selling this product.

for about $69.00 a kit.

If you use this or find something else, let us know how it works.

Reply to
Frank K.

I want to eventually finish the basement so I went with UGL's masonry treatment. I called their 800 number and spoke with one of their technicians. This product operates as a vapor barrier and prevents moisture from getting through, which is what you need if you put down carpeting, wood, or vinyl flooring. The technician said that one coat is enough and that I can use any latex paint on top of it.

The 2 part epoxies appear to allow vapor to pass through. That's how they avoid peeling. That's fine if you don't plan on later putting some other type of flooring in. If you do, you need to install a layer of plastic to act as a vapor barrier. I do eventually want to apply a 2 part epoxy to my garage floor.

I applied the masonry treatment to about half of my basement floor over the weekend. It has a milky white appearance when applied, but dries with a clear, gloss finish. I used a sprayer to apply it.

A worker at home depot recommended the Jasco product to use as a vapor barrier on a basement floor. however, when I called jasco they said to NOT use their product on a basement floor and recommended the UGL masonry treatment. Jasco said their product would not act as a vapor barrier.

Reply to
ga