Which compound miter saw?

I am going to be needing one to do some deck and stair work.

What would you buy and why? How much should a good one cost? Which ones are the best values?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Things change so what I did might not be the answer today, I went to Lowe's or Home depot and played with the displays until any weakness I could spot was revealed. Some of them would flex over 1/4" if you pushed sideways on the handle, not a formula for accuracy. I settled on the Dewalt 12" sliding compound miter with matching stand. I think I have about $700 in it, shop around compare prices, especially the Internet, try Amazon, and even Ebay.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I have a Dewalt 12" compound miter (DW608?) that I have been happy with. A newer model - DW718 would be a nice choice. You can cut larger material at 45 and 90 degree (cabinets) (cost $679.00)

Just this week I mounted the saw on a Rigid table. It stores easily and sets up in a couple of steps. I love the table (cost $200.00)

-- Oren

Oren

I would buy a Makita because I have had good luck with them. My local hardware store is a certified repair facility also. Hitachi, Bosch, Delta, and DeWalt are other brands that people respect. I like the 12 inch size and these start at about $200.00 and go up over $600.00.

As far as value, that is in the eye of the beholder. A good value to me means a brand with good reputation that can be conveniently repaired. what does it mean to yu? There are cheaper saws out there if that's what you want. A cheap one might be OK for you just search for the lowest price.

Here's a real cheap one that the amazon.com posters thought was a good value:

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Take advantage of the amazon.com catalog for example, and look over the many models offered. For low cost also check out harborfeight.com. And of course there are sure to be many others that will be informative. In general, you will find a 12" non sliding compound saw quite useful. If you intend to use it for a lot of years, then a 10" sliding compound saw, at more $$ will work even better. If you turn pro then consider a double bevel sliding compound 12" saw which can cut large lumber with right or left angles.

years and it has been a great tool. Part of the reason for the performance has to be a very good saw blade, so crown moldings come out really well. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

"Lawrence" wrote

I always overbuy unless it is a basically disposable tool. For good results, I have found that cheap tools (in the size and type as a compound miter saw) just don't cut it. Too much sloop, too much drift, soft metallurgy, etc.

I like professional results, and it gives me a feeling of confidence to use tools that will do far more than I know how to make them do.

I don't do cheap.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

One of the best is the DeWalt 12". It was $300 when I got mine a few years ago. If you want more capacity for stair treads, a slider is a better setup for you. I'd still stick with DeWalt.

If you are going to build a deck and never use it again, I'd get a cheap 10" and be done with it. If you are going to use it in the future, DeWalt, Hitachi, Porter Cable, Makita are decent. Get one that feel comfortable when you pull the handle.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I went several years without a stand. I saw the Ridgid Miter Saw Utility Vehicle TM (AC9940) with wheels. The saw is mounted with bolts and stows with the table after folding.

-- Oren

Oren

When I looked last the Bosch 12" sliding compound was pretty nice with all up front controls and adjustments and a handle that was adjustable to put it at a normal angle no matter the compound you had set. I didn't actually get it so I can't say anything conclusive on it. I did get the Bosch contractor table saw in the same (4000?) series and have been very happy with it for my uses.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

There are many good choices. I have a 12" DeWalt CMS that has a tall back fence--nice for cutting large crown molding. Prices depend on size and type. Bigger is generally better. A 12" CMS will be about $350. A sliding 12" CMS will be around $600. Quality brands include Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita. Probably the best value (best bang for the buck) is the Milwaukee. I'd seriously think about the Bosch. Here you want to stay away from Chicago and China- or Taiwan-made machines. If you go with an el-cheapo machine, at least get a Forrest blade for it.

Reply to
Phisherman

So you want to "do stair and deck work" and maybe stuff in the future. That's way different from a couple of odd jobs and then junk the tool.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have a pretty old 10" one I just put on a folding worktable when I use it. The cord and handle covers are not metal. The rest is cast iron. That thing needs no bolting and never moves yet I can just pick it up and store it away someplace compact.

I was at the Borg eye-candy-ing a fancy 12" one. I went to pick it up and almost threw it over my head. I didn't realize new ones were aluminum (I guess).

Reply to
Al Bundy