Which Air Purifier?

Page 2 of 2
On Dec 28, 9:22am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

And its probably a parent visiting with a real nice gift you dont want to insult at -30. [ thanks for the money I know its raining and lightning out but ]

Still don't understand why you feel the need to make bogus excuses in your own home...
Even though the OP is somewhat regular here, i can't help but believe he was trolling this time. Notice he has not come back with any of the replies....

In a word, no. A fan with an outside vent and a good CFM can get rid of the smoke quickly, but the odor is pervasive. Besides, you still will end up with having to repaint walls and ceiling, wash courtains and upholstery etc...
just where the HELL is it -30C ??????????
and yes you can tell him to go outside. There's no smoking in the house. period.

Notice the OP's address below:

".ca" = Canada.
Ahhhhhh... I C

Steve Barker wrote:

I had several responses I used to use when people told me to put out my smoke:
* The Nixonian response: "We believe that it is out." * "What will we then use to cover the smell?" * "I am a grenade and this cigarette is the pin. So you have to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, punk, do you feel lucky?" * "I'm trying to put it out. I've BEEN trying for almost an hour. No, don't show me how... I have to learn this for myself."
These, and others, over the years met with varying levels of success. For the past little while I've been using a response that works almost 100% of the time.
Now, when some granny-lady gets in my face, pummels me with her umbrella, and screams: "You can't smoke here, you godless communist!," I merely respond:
"It's all right, madam, I'm French."

    Sorry, but no home air purifier is going to take care of the problem. They may help a little and maybe a 8 hours after the smoker leaves, it may have reduced the air stink somewhat, but it still will be in your clothing, carpet etc.
    The smokers in my family know how I feel about it. They know my parents both died of cancer, and both were likely the result of their smoking. If you love them, let them know it, ask them not to smoke but if they must ask them to go outside.

Opening all doors/windows is my first choice, but not practical in your location. Letting in sunlight helps. Wipe down surfaces with a rag dampened with white vinegar. Spread a box of baking soda over carpeting and vacuum the next day. If the smoke was really bad you might have to shampoo carpeting, dryclean draperies, etc. Say, "We have a guest bathroom with an exhaust fan for your smoking convenience."

My biggest problem with air purifiers is that most of the time, when buying a replacement filter, the model purchased is no longer made and the new models all use different incompatible filters. The last two air purifiers I've purchased have gone to the landfill due to unavailable filters, or because the only filters available cost more than a new purifier.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:44:05 -0600, AZ Nomad
-snip-there one good at reducing smoke/odor?

I'll say it again. Alpine Air. Filter gets dirty, you wash it. It *does* make some ozone so the usual cautions apply- but they work.
BTW- I've bought 3 used ones on Ebay- and a couple spare ceramic plates. All for a fraction of what they sell for new.
Jim