Which adhesive to re-attach sole of shoe?

Page 2 of 2
Zakko wrote:

Man is clearing out the apartment of his recently deceased grandfather in lower Manhattan. Amongst the stuff, he finds a ticket for shoe repair dated 1937! The shoe repair shop is still in business, so the guy thinks he'll have some fun.
He walks into the shoe repair shop and places the ticket on the counter.
The cobbler glances at the ticket and says: "They'll be ready Thursday."
<Sorry. Couldn't resist.>
Go to your local auto parts store and get the 3M Super weather strip adhesive. The BLACK not the yellow. Put a sufficient quanity of it in there to spread all around, then press the two halves together. NOW pull it back apart and hold it open until the adhesive dries to the touch. THEN and only then, put the shoe on and walk on it. You'll never see it open again.
(unless you walk around in acetone, that is)

http://www.amazinggoop.com/amazinggoop/index.html
There's a few guys in the US posting replies to the OP's question,what you have to understand is some of your products over the pond do not reach the shores here and cannot? be bought. unless the OP is willing to import it which could cost more than a new pair of shoes.
Just my tuppence worth.

Well, he should have mentioned that limitation if he thought it was important. He posted his query to alt.home.repair, which is almost exclusively inhabited by North Americans.

I agee. :-)
On Thu 15 May 2008 11:19:57, wrote:

Sorry mate.
I'm the OP and I assumed <alt.home.repair> had a reasonsably large proportion of Brits.
George wrote:

Agreed. Though sometimes the same/similar product just has a different name.
And the price of Shoo Goo here is around GBP 8 - rather than, say, USD 3.88. A huge difference.
And I have not found Barge Cement available here at all.
--
Rod

In uk.d-i-y, Rod wrote:

For comparison I recently had a hiking boot repaired by a local cobbler. The sole was peeling off just like the OP's. Cost of repair, four quid.
Yes, I know it's not DIY, but the cobbler spoke convincingly about the materials used in the construction of my boot and the likelihood that the evident disintegration would continue and would probably limit the lifetime of the boot. So I got some useful knowledge as well as a nicely repaired (and cleaned!) boot. He even cleaned the other boot as well.
--
Mike Barnes

That's a very good point. BUT................. (very long pause here)............... He did not mention WHERE he was in the original post. AND it was crossposted (i didn't notice that before now) to a predominatly US group.

[top post corrected]
S. Barker wrote:

"Discount store" is a Merkin-ism, albeit imported to the UK these days too; and he's posting via a US newsfeed, too.
David
Self important anal retentive asshole's correction corrected:
That's a very good point. BUT................. (very long pause here)............... He did not mention WHERE he was in the original post. AND it was crossposted (i didn't notice that before now) to a predominatly US group.

Any shoe repair shop will fix it for less than you think and their product will work for sure. Don't waste time experimenting when the pros have a sure thing. HTH
Joe
On Fri 16 May 2008 01:08:32, Joe wrote:

There was no proce list. The shoe repair guy said it would cost 8 UK POUNDS to re-glue it. Approx 15 US DOLLARS.
Seemed to me I was being overcharged for what looks like straightforward cleaning and re-gluing.
Or maybe it is worth it?

most septics can no longer afford shoes
no point in asking them
--