Which adhesive to re-attach sole of shoe?

The sole of this shoe has come apart. It's a man's outdoor shoe.

The rear part of the sole became unstuck after months and months of prising the shoe off using the heel rather than undoing the laces. Big mistake!

What type of adhesive would a shoe repairer use to fix this?

Thanks to my discount store I have lots of contact adhesive, UHU clear glue (like Bostik), white PVA, runny superglue, and that sort of thing.

Which adhesive is the most suitable to re-attach this sole?

Reply to
Zakko

Heat gun glue.

Reply to
George

George

I'd guess some sort of rubber cement. Have a look at this:

and

Reply to
Rod

Evostik contact adhesive. (Glue gun might well be OK too; never used one).

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've heard this crap works.

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Polyurethane.

Reply to
Steve Firth

AUIU they use a hot glue combined with a press.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There is a so-called "Shoe Glue," although I haven't seen it in many years. I'd use a good rubber cement or "aerospace" epoxy.

Reply to
Phisherman

Is this flexible when set?

Reply to
Zakko

Use Barge Cement. It's what the shoe repair shops use.

Trust me, it's absolutely the best for shoe applications.

Sometimes available in tubes at shoe repair shops, but if not, try one of these online shops:

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Why use glue when you could use 1" galvanized sheet rock screws? just screw it from the inside of the shoe into the sole, I would use at least three!! ;-) Clark...

Reply to
Clark...

Evostick Serious Glue. Takes 24 hours to reach full strength but sticks most things together. Think it's a polyurethane type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

epoxy is not going to be flexible.

3M makes some good adhesives.
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yes, it's a paste often supplied in tubes and it can be used to repair holes or cracks in soles as well as re-attaching heels and soles to uppers. The make I used to see being used was "Bison" and IIRC it was sold as "Bison shoe repair paste". I can find a materials data sheet for it:

But I can't see anyone in the UK selling the stuff (not online at least). Woolworths used to stock it, but Woolies have changed a lot of their line up recently - most of them don't seem to sell the range of glue, shoe soles and repair materials that they used to.

Ah, hang on it looks like it has been re-born as "liquid rubber"

I'm sure there are other/cheaper sellers if you have good look around.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Gorilla glue is a polyurethane. It is somewhat flexible. I patched a rip in a nylon hunting boot with it.

Also two part epoxy resins are designed to bond certain materials.

Reply to
Frank

On 5/14/2008 1:58 PM Phisherman spake thus:

I think you're thinking of "Shoe Goo". Pretty good stuff, but not sure it's good enough for this repair.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Frank wrote in news:bLOdncixiLCU7rbVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

yes,HARD as a rock.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

West System now has a flexible 2 part epoxy.

Reply to
salty

Man is clearing out the apartment of his recently deceased grandfather in lower Manhattan. Amongst the stuff, he finds a ticket for shoe repair dated

1937! The shoe repair shop is still in business, so the guy thinks he'll have some fun.

He walks into the shoe repair shop and places the ticket on the counter.

The cobbler glances at the ticket and says: "They'll be ready Thursday."

Reply to
HeyBub