Which adhesive to re-attach sole of shoe?

Page 1 of 2
The sole of this shoe has come apart. It's a man's outdoor shoe.
http://s3.tinypic.com/f5czt0.jpg
The rear part of the sole became unstuck after months and months of prising the shoe off using the heel rather than undoing the laces. Big mistake!
What type of adhesive would a shoe repairer use to fix this?
Thanks to my discount store I have lots of contact adhesive, UHU clear glue (like Bostik), white PVA, runny superglue, and that sort of thing.
Which adhesive is the most suitable to re-attach this sole?

Heat gun glue.
http://tinyurl.com/4c76nk
Zakko wrote:

I'd guess some sort of rubber cement. Have a look at this:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_cement>
and
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
--
Rod

Zakko wrote:

Evostik contact adhesive. (Glue gun might well be OK too; never used one).
David

I agree, I have used evostik on walking boots in the past and not had problems. make sure yo ufollowt he instructions properly - and get things exactly lined up as you press the sole on!
Robert

I've heard this crap works. http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm -----
- gpsman

Polyurethane.
On Wed 14 May 2008 20:47:35, Steve Firth wrote:

Is this flexible when set?

Yes, it's a paste often supplied in tubes and it can be used to repair holes or cracks in soles as well as re-attaching heels and soles to uppers. The make I used to see being used was "Bison" and IIRC it was sold as "Bison shoe repair paste". I can find a materials data sheet for it:
http://www.bison.net/upload/af993e0fc2c7dd2dc07cbe.pdf
But I can't see anyone in the UK selling the stuff (not online at least). Woolworths used to stock it, but Woolies have changed a lot of their line up recently - most of them don't seem to sell the range of glue, shoe soles and repair materials that they used to.
Ah, hang on it looks like it has been re-born as "liquid rubber"
http://www.bison.net/US/en/index.do
(Amazon.com product link shortened) http://www.aldcroftadhesives.com/productdetails.php?ProductID 2
I'm sure there are other/cheaper sellers if you have good look around.
Zakko wrote:

Gorilla glue is a polyurethane. It is somewhat flexible. I patched a rip in a nylon hunting boot with it.
Also two part epoxy resins are designed to bond certain materials.

yes,HARD as a rock.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

West System now has a flexible 2 part epoxy.
Zakko wrote:

AUIU they use a hot glue combined with a press.
Owain

There is a so-called "Shoe Glue," although I haven't seen it in many years. I'd use a good rubber cement or "aerospace" epoxy.

epoxy is not going to be flexible. 3M makes some good adhesives.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I think you're thinking of "Shoe Goo". Pretty good stuff, but not sure it's good enough for this repair.
conversation with the average voter.
Zakko wrote:

Use Barge Cement. It's what the shoe repair shops use.
Trust me, it's absolutely the best for shoe applications.
Sometimes available in tubes at shoe repair shops, but if not, try one of these online shops:
http://tinyurl.com/66cyye
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Zakko wrote:

Why use glue when you could use 1" galvanized sheet rock screws? just screw it from the inside of the shoe into the sole, I would use at least three!! ;-) Clark...
--
Don\'t you have Google in your part of the world?

Evostick Serious Glue. Takes 24 hours to reach full strength but sticks most things together. Think it's a polyurethane type.
--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?